Secondhand or new? 300€Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RazorL

by RazorL

Hi everyone,

Because i have got some other non bike related projects on the way i really must watch my budget buth my bike is in desperate need of some new non-racing wheels.
I have got my racing wheels sorted (carbon tubular and low alu tubular) buth i am looking for a wheelset to use in training/on holiday/social rides/ coffee rides.

Currently having a nice buth old mavic Ksyrium SSL wheelset, those hubs and rims are almost gone so i am looking for something similar.

Because my budget is max 300€ i am also looking for something secondhand. If there would be something a bit more i maybe be able to make some extra cash available if it is worth it.

I have found
fulcrum racing zero from 2010 for 250
Dtswiss RR-1450 for 275

New:
Cosine alu 32mm for 260

Any thoughts?

RazorL

by RazorL

Something to be taken into account.
I weight about 82-85kg and i am a big power guy.
So i like my wheels quite stiff! Also i live in belgium where the roads aren't the greatest in the world :twisted:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Swannie

by Swannie

Fulcrum racing quattro LG: +- 240 @ www.bike-discount.de

RazorL

by RazorL

Everyone agrees that i should buy new?

AJS914

by AJS914

I don't agree. I've found some fantastic deals on used wheels and parts. I just picked up a $1200-1500 wheelset for $450 and the wheels are in almost new condition. If you know what you want and take some time, the deals show up.

kervelo

by kervelo

Imo this is just another case, where the Zonda would be a great solution. That would require you to stretch your budget slightly.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

For that budget I'd buy used for sure!! But I live in norway and often see used stuff going cheap on a Facebook page that everyone (cyclists) use here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swannie

by Swannie

what if u buy secondhand, for the top of your budget, and you need to replace body, bearings...
That is something that can't happen if u buy new.
If the wheels you need are just for training and coffeerides, Zonda or Racings will do just fine.

Multebear

by Multebear

If these ones dont need to be performancewheels, then why dont you just buy the cheapest ones, you can find? No need to spend as much as 300 euros for beaterwheels. Shimano RS11 at 130 euros will do the job just fine.

Or buy some Miche Primato Syntesi hubs, and lace them/get them laced to the rims of your choosing. That'll be around 300 euros. When the rims are worn, they'll be inexpensive to replace. This solution will be better for environment as well :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com