Stiff alloy tubular wheelset for climbs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

any recommendation for a set of stiff alloy tubulars wheelset for climbing? something that is low profile and stiff and no flex?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

caballero

by caballero

Hed c2 tubular rims / wheels mfg hubs / cxray spokes.

Should be light, stiff confident descenders

RussellS

by RussellS

More or less, any rim with LOTS of spokes. Maybe some of those Sapim spokes that are 13 gauge at the hub and 14 gauge at the nipple. They are like rebar. A tandem rim with 48 spokes would be the stiffest of all. Disc wheels are extra stiff too.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Ah flex, measured in so many ways. I've got old version Campagnolo Neutron tubulars that are bullet proof and 1500g and quite stiff. It'll take an 11sp campag cassette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Multebear

by Multebear

How about building a wheelset with Mavic Open Pro T rims (previously known as Mavic Reflex)? With 32 spokes you have a light and stiff wheel.

kgt

by kgt

Ambrosio Nemesis or Montreal tubular rims (32+32 spokes) with Record or DA hubs.

caballero

by caballero

kgt wrote:Ambrosio Nemesis or Montreal tubular rims (32+32 spokes) with Record or DA hubs.

Not stiff, not light and feel sluggish. Everything you don't want when you're climbing big mountains.

kgt

by kgt

Any idea why a wheelset with HED Belgium C2 will be lighter, stiffer and feel less sluggish?

Geoff

by Geoff

An alloy rim is never going to be as stiff for a given weight as a carbon rim. For alloy, I have a set of old Campagnolo Hyperons which are stiff and light. The Dura-Ace version is not as light, but is very servicable. As soon as you start building a wheel from separate components, you may get light, but it won't be as stiff as an engineered wheelset.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Disagree about Nemesis/Record being sluggish/heavy and not stiff.

I have 2 alloy tubbies old Neutrons and Nemesis/Record hubs and they are both superb. Not flexy and around 1600g.
And they are also timeless and look great on any bike.

addictR1

by addictR1

Multebear wrote:How about building a wheelset with Mavic Open Pro T rims (previously known as Mavic Reflex)? With 32 spokes you have a light and stiff wheel.

how light would it be?

Multebear

by Multebear

The rim is 360 grams. I'm just gonna lay out an example here:

256 grams bitex hubs
294 grams (64) DT revolution spokes and alloy nipples
720 grams rims

Thats 1.270 grams. Don't think you can go much lighter with alloy rims, since they are so light and soft, that you need plenty of spokes to make them stiff.

addictR1

by addictR1

And that's with 32 spokes? If so... Where are some places to source these? Or any reputable builder that can build that in US?

Multebear

by Multebear

Yes 32 spokes. The mavic rims only come in 32/36 drillings.

Not sure where in US. I'm located in Europe. But from what I'm reading here, there are plenty options in US. Maybe start with @NovemberDave. If he can't do it, I'm pretty sure he can point you in the right direction.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

kgt wrote:Any idea why a wheelset with HED Belgium C2 will be lighter, stiffer and feel less sluggish?
Because marketing. ;)

Though to be fair, most/much/all of a hand built wheels quality is actually in the builders hands. The rest of it is (probably) in the tyre you've chosen.

The nemesis rim is a bit of a lump though, 450-460 IIRC. Not enough to hurt in it's chosen area of excellence though. :thumbup: