New Mavic Open Pro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

C36

by C36

mpulsiv wrote:I have a feeling that this new Magic Open Pro will exhibit cracking issue as Pacenti SL23.
Any aluminum rim with modern profile (e.g. wide), that is below 440 grams is not something I'd consider. Hopefully, sidewalls are not as thin as Pacenti SL23.

No other rim has the ISM that allow more material next to the spoke hole. Pacenti has no eyelets then the stress repartition is not as good. So basically there is nothing similar to the Pacenti case... The difference between two levels of engineering.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

mpulsiv wrote:I have a feeling that this new Magic Open Pro will exhibit cracking issue as Pacenti SL23.
Any aluminum rim with modern profile (e.g. wide), that is below 440 grams is not something I'd consider. Hopefully, sidewalls are not as thin as Pacenti SL23.

But they've got galvanic corrosion batteries opps I mean eyelets bro :lol: so every thing is gona be alright

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

got my first boxes of open Pro's. weight 425g for a few rims I weighed. internal width is 18.6mm for the rim I checked.
ERD 593mm. Depth at the spoke holes is 25.2mm and if you think about the archetype which has the same depth and ERD, the nipple bed there is 4mm thick so i doubt the new open pro will crack.

c60rider

by c60rider

Here we go then finally got my wheels for my retro rebuild that I'm doing. The Mavic's came out at just the right time as for a steel bike that's approaching 30 years old it demanded Mavics and I was thrilled they released these new rims. I've had them mated up with Campagnolo Record hubs. And yes they're polished rather than black! The anodising has been removed and polished up with shield logos applied which was essential for the chrome plated 3/4 stays. I have some silver alloy Neutron quick releases to complete the job. So they're 32 hole built with CX-Ray silver spokes. The weights also include rim tapes though I'm not planning to run tubeless on these. So a front of 719g and rear of 838g gives a pair of 1557g including rim tapes which I think is pretty decent.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

how did you polish the hubs?

c60rider

by c60rider

Sodium hydroxide will remove the black anodising then just elbow grease to polish it up. Obviously the whole hub needs to be stripped apart first.

AJS914

by AJS914

Beautiful wheels!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I tried that on a black stem once and it did naff all. I eventually got all the black off with sand paper but the surface was rough and I could not be bothered polishing. /maybe soaking in a bucket of NaOH is better. cant leave a bucket of that around with a 5 year old in the house.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

yes very nice wheels.

CLEAR

by CLEAR

c60rider wrote:Here we go then finally got my wheels for my retro rebuild that I'm doing. The Mavic's came out at just the right time as for a steel bike that's approaching 30 years old it demanded Mavics and I was thrilled they released these new rims.

Very well done... you have class sir. :thumbup: love to see the rest installed.

c60rider

by c60rider

CLEAR wrote:
c60rider wrote:Here we go then finally got my wheels for my retro rebuild that I'm doing. The Mavic's came out at just the right time as for a steel bike that's approaching 30 years old it demanded Mavics and I was thrilled they released these new rims.

Very well done... you have class sir. :thumbup: love to see the rest installed.

Thank you for the comments. It's going to be a mixed bag of components some dating back to the age of the original steel frame ie delta brakes, aero seat pin etc but then paired with modern 11 speed kit which is the last athena silver 11 speed I could find, along with those wheels that had to be polished silver hubs. I'll do a thread on it at some point in the next month or so once I'm done 8)

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Anyone know more about when the Exalith version is due to be released? Also wondering about availability of the disc rims without brake track, lots of stores have added them to their websites but none seems to have stock at this time…

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

disc rims due in september and the exalith who knows when.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Exalith is likely to be end of the year or thereabouts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

So these are 19mm internal, 22.8 external. Anyone have thoughts on whether these would be a worthwhile upgrade over the Shamal C17 (which measures 17mm internal and 22.5 external) with 24/28 CX-Rays to Tune Mag/Mig hubs? These would come in a good 100-120g lighter (depending on real world rim weight), but at those internal/external measurements would there be a significant performance advantage?

A) Will they be as stiff?

B) I personally have found that 23mm Conti S2's interface very smoothly with the Shamal C17 rim. But 19mm / 22.8 seems to be a trickier combination... 25's would be required but appears as though they'll end up inflating far wider than the Open Pro rim (even at lower pressures) - will this compromise handling?