Are Enve rims still Made in USA?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

Their components are not Made in USA, even Enve themselves admit it.

Now what about the rims? Are they still Made in USA?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Multebear

by Multebear

No offense, just out of curiosity, why would you ask?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

duvivr6

by duvivr6

I went on a search on their website and nothing stated made in USA, so then the question is are they even built in the US?

kode54

by kode54

all the wheels i have in hand states that they are HAND MADE IN THE U.S.A.

there's a sticker on all my wheels by the valve stem hold on the rim portion. all hubs are made in their respective regions, like DT Swiss. I also think that their carbon hubs are manufactured in the US as well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

jlok

by jlok

Multebear wrote:No offense, just out of curiosity, why would you ask?

My friend told me that a "reliable" source indicated that Enve rims haven't been made in USA since two years ago. They source from China and stick made in USA stickers.

I couldnt take that as he has no proof to his saying, plus I don't believe that company dare to play that trick.

But I haven't touched any Enve rims since my SES 3.4 Disc, that's why I ask. And now I get the expected answer.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

kervelo

by kervelo

Perhaps Enve should move the production to Finland, now that they are owned by Amer Sports. [emoji6]

jeffy

by jeffy

NovemberDave wrote:Yes. They are.

yes, they are ....

outsourced / made in usa

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

jeffy wrote:
NovemberDave wrote:Yes. They are.

yes, they are ....

outsourced / made in usa

I answered the question "Are Enve rims still Made in USA?" That answer is "yes they are."

The hangtag that came with the pair I'm about to lace says...
"HANDMADE IN USA
The rim you hold in your hands is handcrafted in Ogden, Utah from 100% raw, uni-directional carbon fiber..."

You get into serious trouble if you say stuff like that and it's not true.

kode54

by kode54

i don't see why they don't make their own rims. they make carbon tubing for lots of manufacturers...including their forks are OEM to many bike builders.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Multebear

by Multebear

NovemberDave wrote:
You get into serious trouble if you say stuff like that and it's not true.

Only if you get caught ;-)

Do you know for a fact, that they are US-made? Or are you just assuming they are? Have you seen the facilities, where they are made?

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

Multebear wrote:Do you know for a fact, that they are US-made? Or are you just assuming they are? Have you seen the facilities, where they are made?

If you want to call taking the CEO of the company at her explicitly stated word, along with a vast preponderance of other evidence, "assuming" then I'm assuming. I have not been to their facility, nor do I plan to go. There's not a whole ton of shenanigans I'd put past the bike industry, but I'm 100% satisfied that Enve rims are made in the US. If someone has great evidence that that's not the case, s/he could more or less instantly take Enve out of business - not for the fact, but for the lying.

Multebear

by Multebear

NovemberDave wrote:
If someone has great evidence that that's not the case, s/he could more or less instantly take Enve out of business - not for the fact, but for the lying.

Maybe. I've noticed that "US made" is very important for most americans. We europeans tend to care a little less about where stuff is made, since most of our products are made in asia anyway.

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

If there was a need for them to be made elsewhere, and they articulated that need and executed the product well in the production location, that would likely work fine. To have "Made in USA" be such a prominent part of the story of their rims while they are just baldly lying about it is not a credible scenario to me. The repercussions of behavior that irresponsible would be instant and massive.

mattr

by mattr

NovemberDave wrote:The repercussions of behavior that irresponsible would be instant and massive.
Not really. They'd be long and drawn out.

Hundreds of companies do this every day across the globe.
Make the parts overseas, assemble/paint/add value domestically, then slap a "made domestically" sticker on. Cos technically, they are. As most of the added value is added domestically. (€1000 worth of parts assembled into a €3000 dollar product)

Apart from a few geeks on forums, no one else much cares.

Having just read the FTCs guidelines you could quite easily argue that a rim of asian manufacture on chris king hubs and DT spokes assembled in the US, would probably comply with their guidelines (which appear to have been written by a committee of 8 year olds, but, whatever. Most governmental documents read like that.)

The important phrase in both EU and US regulations is along the lines of
Goods are deemed to have been manufactured or produced in the country in which they last underwent a treatment or process resulting in a substantial change.

There are some other bits in the FTC guideline about how much needs to be made in the US, but importantly, no hard and fast rules/numbers, so you'd have to go to court to find out.......... So long and drawn out.

So wheels with non-domestically manufactured rims would be ok labelled as made in USA. Non-domestic rims on their own. Not so good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com