Wheelset setup?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RazorL

by RazorL

Alright everybody this might be a topic where there will be a lot off discussion buth i am unsure what i should do.
First some background about me:
27 years old former U23 bike racer
Had to quit because there were some more important life goals.
Last year started with triathlon and want to start racing my bike again.

What i got:
I ride a FM029 frame with shimano ultegra 10 speed.
These are my wheelset to chose from.
2008 ksyrium SL clincher wheels
50 mm carbon wheels on old zipp hubs (tubular)
2 pair of mavic gp4 rims(tubular): one laced to campa record hubs and one laced to shimano ultegra hubs

I am looking to replace the ksyrium wheels in the near future, they still have some life on them left buth i would like to make them my training wheels.
The tubular wheels i still got from my racing career and i will use for my races and triathlon.

What wheels should i buy to use for my nice wheater ride's here in belgium (not the nicest roads) and for my holiday in the south of france (col d'eze, col de turini, poggio,cipressa).

I am doubting about some nice light alu wheels (fulcrum) buth also charmed by the dura ace C35, these are above my budget so i am thinking about the far sports carbon alloy wheels (38CA) or should i risk buying a full carbon wheel from far sports (38C) knowing they will be used on belgium roads and brakeing on the decents in the south of france.

OR should i use my tubular alu wheels (strong and alloy brake track) and risk the puncture of tubulars?

Sorry for my english buth it's not my native language

Multebear

by Multebear

Farsports wheels are top quality. I have 3 sets, and they perform great. I've used them in the mountains as well with no issues. But why would you want carbon rims with alu braketrack? They will be heavier than full carbon, and they will not save you money. Full carbon is better. And they will be fine on mixed road quality as well.
Last edited by Multebear on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I'd consider Light Bicycle too, their wide rims are among the lighter ones out there and the braking is excellent. I have 2 sets, and I had 3 Farsports sets (1 left).

RazorL

by RazorL

I thought about the alu brake track because of the brakeing.
Or is this not much of a problem these day's ? (will be riding the wheels in the mountain's on my holiday)

Marin

by Marin

Mine brake really well. I ride in the Alps a lot.

RazorL

by RazorL

What model do you have? I am leaning in favor of far sports because they offer xdb shipping. In Belgium customs are really bad!

Multebear

by Multebear

I have the Farsport 38 mm and the 50 mm depth. Both 25 mm wide and U shape. I did a week on Majorca with the 38 mm ones with no issues on descents.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com