Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:25 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:07 am 

which type of tubular tire would you guys recommend for low rolling resistance, super grippy, and easy to install? also need recommendation on which glue to use.

looking to get my first set of tubular wheelset, so very newbie on this. also, if i get a flat, can you use superglue or something to seal up the puncture or is the whole tire need to be replaced?

thanks in advance..

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:07 am 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:38 am 

Veloflex and Mastic.

For flats, carry a spare or use sealant (Vittoria PitStop, Orange Seal, etc.).

For repairs, see the tubular repair thread above.

Tubulars can be fun!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:03 am 

dj97223 wrote:
Veloflex and Mastic.

For flats, carry a spare or use sealant (Vittoria PitStop, Orange Seal, etc.).

For repairs, see the tubular repair thread above.

Tubulars can be fun!

which veloflex? is this the best one? https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-tyre ... er-reviews

where can i find Mastic? i thought amazon carried everything.. lol

also would this valve stem work? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058 ... PDKIKX0DER

it's going on this set.. http://www.backcountry.com/reynolds-72- ... VybyA3Mg==

Last edited by addictR1 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:15 am 

I jumped in after searching Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Vittoria-Mastik- ... mastik+one Could only see Professional not regular but what's the harm in copying the pros here?

Carbon/Extreme is a popular recipe here, and the 25mm Arenberg. I haven't tried their tubulars yet (I just end up riding Vittoria) but very much like their clinchers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:18 am 

thanks shimmeD.. i added to cart for the glue. :) just need to find the right tubular tire. i've tired riding 25mm..but prefer 23mm instead.

can't wait to try my first set of tubular wheelset in 72mm. the price was too good to pass up

i'm thinking either Veloflex Sprinter Tubular or Veloflex Carbon Tubular in 23mm.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:53 am 

For glue, I prefer the small tubes over the large can. Get a half-dozen and you will be good for a while.

It looks like that Reynolds rim is wide? I'd get the Roubaix or Arenberg, which are 25mm wide. If you flat, it will provide a bit more protection to the rim than will a 23mm tire. This all assumes that the rim and tire will fit your frame and brake setup.

I don't recommend that valve stem extension. I recommend one that works with a removable core (Veloflex stems have removable cores), so you will have the valve core at the end of the stem extension. Silca has a valve length chart you can use to find the right length.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:25 am 

dj97223: i'm planning on putting this onto my BMC TMR02. how wide does the veloflex inflat to? i see trisports has the 75mm version: http://www.trisports.com/silca-presta-v ... sions.html is this it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:52 am 

for fixing flats on veloflex tubs, i've found tufo extreme the most successful (orange seal wasn't nearly as good, which surprised me as it seems well regarded. vittoria pitstop is really poor)

as above, arenberg/roubaix seem a better width for the rims, proper valve extenders are much better (especially if you will want to get sealant in one day)

do check clearance with your frame!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:17 am 

Thanks for the sealant suggestion. I checked my TMR02 and frame is fine. The rear brake will be wide enough to accommodate it. Just couldn't decide on the width of tubular.

Which valve extender would work best?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:03 pm 

addictR1 wrote:
Thanks for the sealant suggestion. I checked my TMR02 and frame is fine. The rear brake will be wide enough to accommodate it. Just couldn't decide on the width of tubular.

Which valve extender would work best?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i like the vittoria ones, the o-ring is good, never needed to add tape etc. to them, and the ones i got came with a nice metal valve core tool, much better than the plastic tool

conti extenders also work fine on veloflex, i've never needed tape on them with veloflex tubs

but vittoria g+ tubs seem to have a slightly wider hole in the stem than veloflex tubs, i found conti extenders leaked whereas vittoria extenders were fine

careful, vittoria make two types, ones that go over the valve, and ones where you remove the valve and put it onto the extender, it's the latter that i suggest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:35 pm 

addictR1 wrote:
dj97223: i'm planning on putting this onto my BMC TMR02. how wide does the veloflex inflat to? i see trisports has the 75mm version: http://www.trisports.com/silca-presta-v ... sions.html is this it?

No. That is a "fixed" valve extension. I suggest you get one for a "removable" valve core, per my suggestion above and Sungod's. Are you in the US? If so, WorldClassCycles sells valve extenders in different colors, as well as Mastic, tubulars, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:41 pm 

Plus one on the Veloflex tubulars. Online prices and selection can vary considerably among sellers. Poked around a few minutes and noticed Ribblecycles.com carried their whole line with good prices. You will notice that Veloflex sells in gumwall and blackwall varieties - just changing the model between that style. My preference is for their Criterium (gumwall), which is basically the same as the Carbon (blackwall), I think. At my riding weight of 170lbs with cycling on decent roads, I can get around 2k miles with a midway rotation. Vittoria glue is my choice for attachment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:47 pm 

sungod & dj97223: yes i'm in US.. and thanks for valve link and info

asteroid: thanks for the link to ribble.

so i'm hearing with tubulars, they don't expand much since they are enclosed.. so with my Reynolds Aero 72 (width 26.2mm) should be safer to run a 25mm tubular tire over a 23mm?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:59 pm 

tubs are, well, tubular, barring extreme situations they naturally take a round profile, which gives consistent width

clinchers are a strip of rubber of varying thickness anchored at the ends, there's more scope for variation with rim width

from memory carbon/criterium were 23mm to 23.5mm and arenberg/roubaix spot on 25mm

personally i'd go with 25mm on these rims, but can't see it making huge difference either way

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:59 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:13 pm 

With tubulars, as said, they are encased within themselves and don't have nearly the variation in inflated width that clinchers do, regardless of the rim. What is important is the radius of the rim bed and that it closely matches the radius of the tubular you're using as close as possible. For example, a pre 2015 Campy Bora tubular rim is really ideal for a 22-24mm tubular. But while a 25mm tire can certainly be used, it is not ideal and a certain "push up bra" like action starts happening. What happens is that the center of the tubular wants to raise itself from the center of the rim bed and the edges get pushed outwards. As far as function goes, this is better than the other way around because the bond at the edges of the rim is far more important than the bond at the center. But if you have tight clearance issues, that very same tire sits about 1-1.5mm higher on the "old" Boras than it will on the new slightly wider Boras which are really designed around using a 25mm tubular.
Now, it you try to put a super narrow tire on a larger radius (flatter) rim bed, it will tend to want to pull up at the edges while the center of the tire will have the best bond. Not ideal. In your case I'd definitely go with the 25's if for no other reason than to protect the rim a bit better. I don't know what the rim bed radius is like on those rims but given their external width I'd expect them to be more suited to 25's than something on the smaller side.

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR