Best American websites/retailers for wheel building?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gsindela

by gsindela

Been doing a lot of research on this topic and want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thus far the retailer sites I've concentrated on are these:

fairwheelbikes.com
bikehubstore.com
prowheelbuilder.com

Obviously, lots of good info, selection, and prices at these three.

Any web retailers worthwhile for me to add to the list for my wheel building shopping/education?
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post

mergeforthekill

by mergeforthekill

Wheelbuilder.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joejack951

by joejack951

If using Sapim spokes, www.danscomp.com tends to have the best prices and will cut to any length at any quantity (no need to buy a pack of 20 when you only need 12-14 of a certain length for your rear wheel). You have to call to order and their website price is usually higher than what they'll quote you over the phone. I paid $2.04 per black CX Ray with aluminum nipple a few months ago.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

BDOP if you're doing the building.

ETA: not American but they do offer free shipping on their build kits.

alajuela

by alajuela

bremerradkurier wrote:BDOP if you're doing the building.

I recommend Sugar Wheelworks in Portland

https://sugarwheelworks.com/

Jason or Jude - great shop, great service

Phil

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

alajuela wrote:

Phil

Not seeing the appeal of paying for wheelbuilding-get a Park TS2 or TS4 stand plus one of BDOP's kits, have the ability to count to four, and you can build your own wheels assuming you're not going for anything super exotic like low count 2:1 lacing.

alajuela

by alajuela

bremerradkurier wrote:
alajuela wrote:

Phil

Not seeing the appeal of paying for wheelbuilding-get a Park TS2 or TS4 stand plus one of BDOP's kits, have the ability to count to four, and you can build your own wheels assuming you're not going for anything super exotic like low count 2:1 lacing.

Or ride them when it counts :beerchug:

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

alajuela wrote:

Not sure where you're heading with that-the first wheelset I ever built survived two years of bike messengering in Northern Germany with zero broken spokes and minimal truing until the sidewalls were abraded away from braking.

alajuela

by alajuela

bremerradkurier wrote:
alajuela wrote:

Not sure where you're heading with that-the first wheelset I ever built survived two years of bike messengering in Northern Germany with zero broken spokes and minimal truing until the sidewalls were abraded away from braking.

Where I am heading is that I would not buy wheels from someone whose talent is summed up by counting to four.

I don't know the people you know, but Sugar Wheels, along with others KNOW how to build wheels - Stand behind what they do, and perhaps I am in the minority here, but I feel the is an art and a craft to building something, wheels , frames, which also take on an enhanced significance when entrusting your life in a precarious situation , like lets say hauling ass downhill at 60 mph.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

alajuela wrote:
bremerradkurier wrote:
alajuela wrote:

Where I am heading is that I would not buy wheels from someone whose talent is summed up by counting to four.

I don't know the people you know, but Sugar Wheels, along with others KNOW how to build wheels - Stand behind what they do, and perhaps I am in the minority here, but I feel the is an art and a craft to building something, wheels , frames, which also take on an enhanced significance when entrusting your life in a precarious situation , like lets say hauling ass downhill at 60 mph.

BTDT on wheels I've built-modern wheel components going back to the late '80s, assuming we're not talking no-name parts from Shenzhen sweatshops, have gotten really good and have HUGE safety margins if they're assembled responsibly.

That said, Sugar Wheels seem to be priced pretty fairly given their cost of goods, inventory, labor, and storefront costs; If I couldn't or didn't want to build wheels myself, I'd probably give them or November the nod before I'd buy complete wheels from Mavic, Zipp, or Hed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com