Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:42 am

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:48 pm
Posts: 88
Location: Geneva, IL, USA
Been doing a lot of research on this topic and want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thus far the retailer sites I've concentrated on are these:

fairwheelbikes.com
bikehubstore.com
prowheelbuilder.com

Obviously, lots of good info, selection, and prices at these three.

Any web retailers worthwhile for me to add to the list for my wheel building shopping/education?

_________________
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:24 am
Posts: 25
Wheelbuilder.com


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
   
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:04 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:50 pm
Posts: 211
Location: Wilmington, DE
If using Sapim spokes, www.danscomp.com tends to have the best prices and will cut to any length at any quantity (no need to buy a pack of 20 when you only need 12-14 of a certain length for your rear wheel). You have to call to order and their website price is usually higher than what they'll quote you over the phone. I paid $2.04 per black CX Ray with aluminum nipple a few months ago.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:18 pm
Posts: 166
BDOP if you're doing the building.

ETA: not American but they do offer free shipping on their build kits.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:21 pm
Posts: 17
bremerradkurier wrote:
BDOP if you're doing the building.

ETA: not American but they do offer free shipping on their build kits.


I recommend Sugar Wheelworks in Portland

https://sugarwheelworks.com/

Jason or Jude - great shop, great service

Phil


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:18 pm
Posts: 166
alajuela wrote:
bremerradkurier wrote:
BDOP if you're doing the building.

ETA: not American but they do offer free shipping on their build kits.


I recommend Sugar Wheelworks in Portland

https://sugarwheelworks.com/

Jason or Jude - great shop, great service

Phil


Not seeing the appeal of paying for wheelbuilding-get a Park TS2 or TS4 stand plus one of BDOP's kits, have the ability to count to four, and you can build your own wheels assuming you're not going for anything super exotic like low count 2:1 lacing.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:21 pm
Posts: 17
bremerradkurier wrote:
alajuela wrote:
bremerradkurier wrote:
BDOP if you're doing the building.

ETA: not American but they do offer free shipping on their build kits.


I recommend Sugar Wheelworks in Portland

https://sugarwheelworks.com/

Jason or Jude - great shop, great service

Phil


Not seeing the appeal of paying for wheelbuilding-get a Park TS2 or TS4 stand plus one of BDOP's kits, have the ability to count to four, and you can build your own wheels assuming you're not going for anything super exotic like low count 2:1 lacing.


Or ride them when it counts :beerchug:


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:18 pm
Posts: 166
alajuela wrote:

Or ride them when it counts :beerchug:


Not sure where you're heading with that-the first wheelset I ever built survived two years of bike messengering in Northern Germany with zero broken spokes and minimal truing until the sidewalls were abraded away from braking.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:21 pm
Posts: 17
bremerradkurier wrote:
alajuela wrote:

Or ride them when it counts :beerchug:


Not sure where you're heading with that-the first wheelset I ever built survived two years of bike messengering in Northern Germany with zero broken spokes and minimal truing until the sidewalls were abraded away from braking.


Where I am heading is that I would not buy wheels from someone whose talent is summed up by counting to four.

I don't know the people you know, but Sugar Wheels, along with others KNOW how to build wheels - Stand behind what they do, and perhaps I am in the minority here, but I feel the is an art and a craft to building something, wheels , frames, which also take on an enhanced significance when entrusting your life in a precarious situation , like lets say hauling ass downhill at 60 mph.


Top
   
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:21 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:18 pm
Posts: 166
alajuela wrote:
bremerradkurier wrote:
alajuela wrote:

Or ride them when it counts :beerchug:


Not sure where you're heading with that-the first wheelset I ever built survived two years of bike messengering in Northern Germany with zero broken spokes and minimal truing until the sidewalls were abraded away from braking.


Where I am heading is that I would not buy wheels from someone whose talent is summed up by counting to four.

I don't know the people you know, but Sugar Wheels, along with others KNOW how to build wheels - Stand behind what they do, and perhaps I am in the minority here, but I feel the is an art and a craft to building something, wheels , frames, which also take on an enhanced significance when entrusting your life in a precarious situation , like lets say hauling ass downhill at 60 mph.


BTDT on wheels I've built-modern wheel components going back to the late '80s, assuming we're not talking no-name parts from Shenzhen sweatshops, have gotten really good and have HUGE safety margins if they're assembled responsibly.

That said, Sugar Wheels seem to be priced pretty fairly given their cost of goods, inventory, labor, and storefront costs; If I couldn't or didn't want to build wheels myself, I'd probably give them or November the nod before I'd buy complete wheels from Mavic, Zipp, or Hed.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. MAVIC - why their new rims are rubbish, wheel building skills non-existent and why you shouldn't buy from them

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 4 ]

in Everything wheels

c60rider

57

4442

Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:52 pm

reedplayer View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. PRO 3 Spoke - Ultegra - Carbon Front Wheel -> Track or Road wheel ?

in Everything wheels

Tillquist

3

484

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:18 am

F45 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Building leg mass

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Training

canoas

39

2881

Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:32 pm

WinterRider View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Building a disc brake bike

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

L3X

26

2944

Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:51 am

Broady View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. American Classic Mag 300

in Wanted

whydobearsxplod

0

125

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:14 pm

whydobearsxplod View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited