Deep section Aero wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MarginalChains

by MarginalChains

I'm looking for a set of deep section aero clinchers for a new build. At the moment I've got a couple of choices in mind, Enve 7.8s with the Enve carbon hubs, and Lightweight Fernweg Schwarz. They're for a 'stealth' bike so I'm really after the kind of look that these two wheelsets have. The main consideration is how aero they are but as always, weight is also important :)

As I see it the Enves are a wider more modern aero shape whereas the lightweights are quite old now and perhaps not as aero. But the lightweights do have that special appeal and save a considerable chunk of weight at 1540g v 1660g for the Enves (I've weighed a set despite the 1550g that Enve claim).

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on these wheels or any other options you think I should look at?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

if weight matters, fernweg schwartz tubs are listed as 1420g :)

compared to the traditional lw rim v profile, the fernweg is pretty modern, from the tour mag aero test, there's very little in it for fernweg + disc vs. 808 firecrest + disc

http://www.tour-magazin.de/komponenten/ ... 23977.html

gitsome

by gitsome

I really have no idea why anyone still spends the $$ on lightweight apart from brand fascination. They were "advanced" 10-15 yrs ago now its just copycat design w pretentious german names. But thats just my opinion

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

If Lightweights are within your budget, why not. Not only will you be fast, you/your bike will look bling too.

sungod

by sungod

gitsome wrote:I really have no idea why anyone still spends the $$ on lightweight apart from brand fascination. They were "advanced" 10-15 yrs ago now its just copycat design w pretentious german names. But thats just my opinion

pretentious german names - what's pretentious about a german company giving its products german names?

copycat design - which wheels of that weight and performance did they copy?

kgt

by kgt

LWs have remained pretty much the same after 15 years because no one else has made something similar yet. Stiff, light and aero as anything.

For some reason ther is a 'LW complex' in our forum but the truth is that many, many pros still pay in order to ride LW discs...

gitsome

by gitsome

Ok well they stayed the same until they copied zipp/enve rounded shapes but w no real aerodynamic science behind them at all just a round profile to look like they are current and up to date. I know nobody who spends double on a wheelset thats equal to or less than the other names on the market likes to hear that pr admit it but there it is. Ive riddem them cant tell much if any difference and those i know who own them ride their 404, 303, 7.8 or whathaveyou all the timd while the leightweights gather dust.

gitsome

by gitsome

Amd that includes shop owners who sell them yet choose bontrager enve over lightweights too...

gitsome

by gitsome

kgt wrote:LWs have remained pretty much the same after 15 years because no one else has made something similar yet. Stiff, light and aero as anything.

For some reason ther is a 'LW complex' in our forum but the truth is that many, many pros still pay in order to ride LW discs...

"Nobody has made something similar"

Except for Mavic, Corima, madfiber and Lew to name just a few off the top of my head, lol

kgt

by kgt

Mavic and Corima, yes, many years after LW. Still LWs are better than those. Lew and Madfiber tried but failed...

Multebear

by Multebear

MarginalChains wrote:
deep section aero clinchers

The main consideration is how aero they are but as always, weight is also important :)

Enves are a wider, more modern aero shape

lightweights are quite old now and perhaps not as aero.

lightweights do have that special appeal and save a considerable chunk of weight

thoughts or recommendations on these wheels or any other options

The way I see it, you've already laid it out, and now just need to make a decision whether aeropackage is more important than weight and special appeal package. There's not much to add really, except maybe the new Zipp 454. I don't like them at all, but that doesnt mean, that you don't either. But they certainly have special appeal.

If you're looking after the ultimate bling Factor, then it's LW. But they wont win you more races than the Enves.

gitsome

by gitsome

Madfiber worked well actually their business model failed. Amd Reynolds is doing same thing too w razor though thats kind of lew all over again i think. Anyway. Just dont see any advantage to lw or justification for prices and not impressed by their designs, science (if any) etc other than tied carbon spokes bonded to hub and rim. Doesnt seem necessary anymore and the rest is all catch-up to zipp, enve, reynolds, etc

kgt

by kgt

Madfibers were expensive too and looked horrible. LEW-Reynolds) were as stiff as a noodle, had many issues and as expensive as LW. Nothing from zipp, enve, reynolds ever had this stiffness to weight ratio.
Even in terms of aero you see that Fernweg is as aero as anything else plus lighter. Why this ambivalence against LW? I never got it...

gitsome

by gitsome

Because nothng justifies the price even if what u claim is true which is highly debateable there is nowhere near the superiority that a double price justifies, and the critiques you state are highly subjective at best. Zipp, enve and reynolds have put far more into aerodynamic testing and design than lw to begin w...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

And madfibers did not cost anywhere near lw, not even as much as top of line zipps back then