Wheelset suggestions plz

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

I've been looking for a carbon wheelset with alum brake track.

I'm looking to use it as an all around wheel for climbs and flats; 60/40 mix.

My weight is 68Kg, 180FTP (still trying to improve after my crash last year)

I need it to run with 23mm clincher tires since I still have a lot of ContiGP4K2.

In no particular order I found:

DA C50
DA C35
HED Jet 6+

Any other that will be stiff to climb with and fast on flats?

It's gonna be mounted on my BMC TMR02.

Much appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

With those numbers, I think any wheelset will be stiff enough for you (no offense). Even with considerably bigger numbers, I think you'll be safe regarding stiffness. You might just look for the most aero wheelset, you are willing to throw your money at. And why would you want carbon with alloy braketrack? The way I see it, that combo just doesn't give you either benefits from carbon or alloy. Carbon wheels are pretty light, but that is lost when adding alloy brake track. Alloy rims are pretty cheap, but that is lost when buying the carbon alloy combo. Which carbon wheels to choose depends on how much you want to spend.

I would choose some great carbon wheels with carbon brake track, and then have a set of cheap alloy wheels as training/bad weather wheels.

gsindela

by gsindela

Multebear wrote:With those numbers, I think any wheelset will be stiff enough for you (no offense). Even with considerably bigger numbers, I think you'll be safe regarding stiffness. You might just look for the most aero wheelset, you are willing to throw your money at. And why would you want carbon with alloy braketrack? The way I see it, that combo just doesn't give you either benefits from carbon or alloy. Carbon wheels are pretty light, but that is lost when adding alloy brake track. Alloy rims are pretty cheap, but that is lost when buying the carbon alloy combo. Which carbon wheels to choose depends on how much you want to spend.

I would choose some great carbon wheels with carbon brake track, and then have a set of cheap alloy wheels as training/bad weather wheels.

Really, really good advice here. While there are many great wheel sites out there, I would strongly recommend you browse around prowheelbuilder.com. (no affiliation)
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post

addictR1

by addictR1

Multebear: i went through 2 sets of farsport cf wheelset. although they are not the best out there, but give my braking history.. i'm afraid to toast another set of better cf wheels like Zipp or what not. hence that's why i was looking at CF + alloy track. i see team bmc using DA C50 this year, but not sure if those are with alloy track or not.

but then again.. my buddy had the C35 and he's about 81Kg and after a couple rides.. the CF laminated portion by the spoke broke loose.

Multebear

by Multebear

Well if you insist on the carbon/alloy combo, then that's what you have to buy. I have no experience with them, since I've never found the need for them, but Shimano generally make the best products of the big brands.

But if your problem is wearing down rims quickly in general, then I wouldn't focus too much on performance, since everything just wears down. And the more $$ you spend on wheels, the more $$ just evaporates into the air.

Other alternatives for you, might be to look at some really nice alloy wheels. If you're in US, I would just buy the nicest top of the heap rims, HED Belgium +, and lace them to some nice american hubs, like either WI or CK.

I have three sets of Farsports wheelsets, and the oldest one has done around 10k km's. And the brake track isn't even showing signs of wear. But then again I only take them out for racing or occasionally sunny days.

moonoi

by moonoi

You don't mention if you have a budget, but perhaps consider Swissside Hadron, they meet your requirements and are a solid wheelset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

yup.. i saw the Swissside Hadron.. looks sweet. don't know much about them though. plus do they have a US distributor for that? also, any coupon code?\

ok just tried.. they don't ship to US... :(

moonoi

by moonoi

That's a shame, I didn't realize they didn't have US distribution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

I know... kinda sad that in the check out process you can select USA but then can't check out. Sigh....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sp3000

by sp3000

Have you checked the DT Swiss Mon Chasseral's I am super happy with mine, full carbon clincher tubeless! 1250g. Ceramic bearings, great hubs, very good value.