24mm Turbo Clincher won't fit 25mm wide rim?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Afnole16

by Afnole16

So I have a Brand new pair of light bicycle u shaped 25mm wide 35mm deep carbon Clinchers... I attempted to put on slightly used 24mm S Works Turbo Clinchers (not cottons). My plan was to use these until the tread was gone and move to either Schwalbe Pro One or to Turbo Cotton Clinchers. But needless to say, they didn't fit, the bead couldn't reach on the rim? WI'll the 26s fit?

rasmusic

by rasmusic

Well, I've got both 24mm and 26mm S Works clinchers on my LB U-shaped 25mm wheelset. They're tight (tubeless rims, you know), but they fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

Strange, those were fitted on my brand new tubeless Roval clx 32 wheels. And that is a fat rim : 21,5 mm internal and 28mm outside. Went 'on' and 'off' with ease! Has more to due with your rims rather than with the tyre I guess.

Afnole16

by Afnole16

rasmusic wrote:Well, I've got both 24mm and 26mm S Works clinchers on my LB U-shaped 25mm wheelset. They're tight (tubeless rims, you know), but they fit.

Mine are tubeless compatiblend as well
Is it easier with 26s? The 24s was like trying to put on tubulars without stretching the tire

russianbear

by russianbear

Afnole16 wrote:So I have a Brand new pair of light bicycle u shaped 25mm wide 35mm deep carbon Clinchers... I attempted to put on slightly used 24mm S Works Turbo Clinchers (not cottons). My plan was to use these until the tread was gone and move to either Schwalbe Pro One or to Turbo Cotton Clinchers. But needless to say, they didn't fit, the bead couldn't reach on the rim? WI'll the 26s fit?

You just couldn't get on the rim I assume? Get help from a pedro lever.

Afnole16

by Afnole16

russianbear wrote:
Afnole16 wrote:So I have a Brand new pair of light bicycle u shaped 25mm wide 35mm deep carbon Clinchers... I attempted to put on slightly used 24mm S Works Turbo Clinchers (not cottons). My plan was to use these until the tread was gone and move to either Schwalbe Pro One or to Turbo Cotton Clinchers. But needless to say, they didn't fit, the bead couldn't reach on the rim? WI'll the 26s fit?

No I got them on, but the bead wouldn't reach... probably put 80 psi and popped the inner tube

Marin

by Marin

Then you had your tube caught under the bead.

What do you mean by "wouldn't reach"? Would not seat?

* Use talc on the tube.
* NEVER use tire levers to mount cotton tires, use the correct technique using your hands only.
* Before pumping, check both beads all around that the tube isn't visible.
* Try mounting fluid / soapy water if the bead doesn't seat.

mattr

by mattr

Afnole16 wrote:No I got them on, but the bead wouldn't reach... probably put 80 psi and popped the inner tube
Wouldn't reach what?

rasmusic

by rasmusic

Afnole16 wrote:
rasmusic wrote:Well, I've got both 24mm and 26mm S Works clinchers on my LB U-shaped 25mm wheelset. They're tight (tubeless rims, you know), but they fit.

Mine are tubeless compatiblend as well
Is it easier with 26s? The 24s was like trying to put on tubulars without stretching the tire

If I remember correctly there isn't any difference. Getting the tire centered on the rim helps, but they're among one of the hardest rims I've ever mounted a tire on. Just HTFU and use your thumbs until they bleed. ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

Afnole16 wrote:
russianbear wrote:

No I got them on, but the bead wouldn't reach... probably put 80 psi and popped the inner tube

You pinched the tube. It happens, try again.