tubeless valve rubber diameter vs oversize presta hole

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ooo

by ooo

Stans Universal tubeless valves rubber diameters are 9.5mm & 9mm - it may be bad for 8.0mm hole.
May be you know diameters of other brands tubeless valves? Can you measure your tubeless valve?

My 38mm deep tubeless rim have 8mm diameter presta hole on tire side and no tape (no nipple holes)
38mm deep rim usually requires >46mm valves, but Stan makes oversize tubeless valve only in 44mm

Stans Universal 44mm Tubeless Road Valve Stem (AS0020) - Fits up to 8mm valve hole.
Stans Universal 55mm Tubeless Road Valve Stem (AS0096) - Fits up to 8mm valve hole.

Stans Oversize 44mm Tubeless Road Valve Stem - Rectangular Stopper (AS0038)
for use with road rims with oversize valve holes - 8 to 9.1mm diameters.

'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

ooo wrote:Stans Universal tubeless valves rubber diameters are 9.5mm & 9mm - it may be bad for 8.0mm hole.
May be you know diameters of other brands tubeless valves? Can you measure your tubeless valve?

My 38mm deep tubeless rim have 8mm diameter presta hole on tire side and no tape (no nipple holes)
38mm deep rim usually requires >46mm valves, but Stan makes oversize tubeless valve only in 44mm

The Stans universal valve says it is for holes up to 8mm, and your rim has 8mm holes, right? So is that really a problem? I see that your rim hole is right on the line between the universal and oversize measurements, and you might be uncomfortable being right on the margin, but based on their specs it looks like you could use either valve size and be OK.

Worst case scenario, if you find that they are a little undersized and you are concerned that they might pop through into your rim cavity, then you can usually just cut a little circle out of an old tube, puncture a hole in it, and then slide it over the tubeless valve before installing it in the rim. The extra 1mm of rubber this adds will generally comfortably increase the strength of the interface.

Alternative worst case scenario: If you got the oversize valves and the 44mm stems really proved to be too short vs. your preferred 46mm stems, I have often found that simply using a thread-on schrader adaptor and then a pump with a 2 way fit head allows one to inflate even seriously undersized stems without a problem.