Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:31 am
Posts: 97
Hey, currently in the market for a set of aero wheels and I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to 3/4 wheelsets. Im currently riding mavic r-sys on my 2016 ultimate cf slx and im looking to stay on clinchers. I must say my experince of the r-sys has been very good so that's a + for mavic. My main priority is cost V performance really. Im quite happy to pay less for small losses or if paying more ie. Enve's had bigger gains/performance then that will be the choice.

Here are the wheelsets, Mavic cosmic ultimate, cosmic pro carbon sl, zipp 404 nsw's and enve 4.5's

https://shop.mavic.com/en-be/cosmic-ult ... r0819.html
https://shop.mavic.com/en-be/cosmic-pro ... r0818.html

http://www.zipp.com/wheels/404-nsw-carbon-clincher---/

http://enve.com/products/ses-4-5/ with either CK45 or DT swiss 180.

If anyone had any experience, owns, reviews or more info it would be greatly appreciated to hear feedback,
Thanks, Scott


Last edited by scottmmw on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 6:25 pm
Posts: 353
Enve.


Top
   
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:11 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:27 pm
Posts: 646
If cost v. performance is important, you should consider Bora or the Fulcrum equivalent. If you are in the US, you can get them from a Euro supplier (e.g., Starbike) much cheaper than Zipps or Enve. And I believe the performance is the same.

_________________
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:31 am
Posts: 97
dj97223 wrote:
If cost v. performance is important, you should consider Bora or the Fulcrum equivalent. If you are in the US, you can get them from a Euro supplier (e.g., Starbike) much cheaper than Zipps or Enve. And I believe the performance is the same.


Thanks but located in the UK. Would rule Bora out as using shimano groupset and just cannot get around the mismatch. Fulcrums possibly, have got a local stockist also.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:31 am
Posts: 97
Nejmann wrote:
Enve.


Is that based on anything?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:18 pm
Posts: 664
Bought the cosmic ultimate... waiting for them to arrive... let's see how they compare to LW MEILENSTEIN

Enviado do meu SM-G935F através de Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:18 pm
Posts: 664
If they are better then the Mavic CCU... then they are great wheels...

Enviado do meu SM-G935F através de Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:31 am
Posts: 97
elfuinha wrote:
Bought the cosmic ultimate... waiting for them to arrive... let's see how they compare to LW MEILENSTEIN

Enviado do meu SM-G935F através de Tapatalk


Would be good to let us know what you think about them once you've rode them, thanks


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 am
Posts: 1010
Location: Surrey UK
Referring to your criteria you can do quick selection.
First one is tubular, so out of equation.
If the price v performance is your priority, you can rule out Enves too, due to their local (UK) ridiculous pricing.
So you are lefl with Zipp 404 nsw vs Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C, £2k vs £1.2k.
Again it is not apple to apple case as both have very different rims' profile.
I think that Zipps will give you better performance, but that is only my guess as I did not have a pleasure to deal with both wheelsets.

_________________
Cervelo S5
Cervelo R5 VWD 5637g/12.43lb
Pronghorn XC SW Race 8284g/18.26lb


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:40 pm
Posts: 588
I've been using the zipp 303 nsws for 4 months now and I'm very happy with them. Just one note: they have a very unique freehub sound that you might find strange. The braking performance is great!

I almost bought the mavic sl c set though, because they offer top level braking and acording to the tour magazine test they come very close to the fastest wheels in aero performance. They are not that deep so that makes them more comfortable in crosswind. I only picked the 303s because I'm a weight weenie, liked the wider profile and IMO they look better (the 303s are a bit lighter than the mavics). Also check out the warranty and crash replacement program in your country.

To be honest, it's very hard to beat the mavics in value.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:31 am
Posts: 97
1415chris wrote:
Referring to your criteria you can do quick selection.
First one is tubular, so out of equation.
If the price v performance is your priority, you can rule out Enves too, due to their local (UK) ridiculous pricing.
So you are lefl with Zipp 404 nsw vs Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C, £2k vs £1.2k.
Again it is not apple to apple case as both have very different rims' profile.
I think that Zipps will give you better performance, but that is only my guess as I did not have a pleasure to deal with both wheelsets.


Thanks for that, I was totally unaware the ultimates we're tubular, hence they are now not an option.

As for Enves, if the extra money was to be justified in extra performance then I would go with them.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:31 am
Posts: 97
nemeseri wrote:
I've been using the zipp 303 nsws for 4 months now and I'm very happy with them. Just one note: they have a very unique freehub sound that you might find strange. The braking performance is great!

I almost bought the mavic sl c set though, because they offer top level braking and acording to the tour magazine test they come very close to the fastest wheels in aero performance. They are not that deep so that makes them more comfortable in crosswind. I only picked the 303s because I'm a weight weenie, liked the wider profile and IMO they look better (the 303s are a bit lighter than the mavics). Also check out the warranty and crash replacement program in your country.

To be honest, it's very hard to beat the mavics in value.


I must admit, the Mavics do seem good value for what they are, and they seem to have the best braking surface, but I just wish they we're a little deeper. I was originally going go buy 404 NSW's but started to look at alternatives.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:01 pm
Posts: 5
I would say the Enve's would be my number 1 choice. Although they are more expensive, they have a 5 year warranty so at least you can be reasonably assured that you're investment is protected for 5 years although I've never dealt with them for a warranty claim.


Top
   
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:06 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:40 am
Posts: 145
Location: Hampshire, England
I've just opted for the Pro Carbon SL's. I couldn't stretch the Enve money.

For me they're a great balance of price, performance, rim depth, weight and braking in all weathers.

Plus they look sexy.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Choosing wheels

in Everything wheels

misterq

5

806

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:39 pm

misterq View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Thoughts on FarSports wheelsets

in Everything wheels

DavidMLee

3

1080

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:35 pm

F45 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. FS: New and Used Dura Ace 9000 wheelsets (many sets)

in For sale - Pictures are mandatory 22-3-13

emorydptt

0

345

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:11 am

emorydptt View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. FS: New and Used Dura Ace 9000 wheelsets (many sets)

in For sale - Pictures are mandatory 22-3-13

emorydptt

0

524

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:23 pm

emorydptt View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Cero AR24/AR30 wheelsets

in Everything wheels

RedLeader

3

875

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:49 pm

bikergrove View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited