Choosing between 3/4 wheelsets help!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scottmmw

by scottmmw

Hey, currently in the market for a set of aero wheels and I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to 3/4 wheelsets. Im currently riding mavic r-sys on my 2016 ultimate cf slx and im looking to stay on clinchers. I must say my experince of the r-sys has been very good so that's a + for mavic. My main priority is cost V performance really. Im quite happy to pay less for small losses or if paying more ie. Enve's had bigger gains/performance then that will be the choice.

Here are the wheelsets, Mavic cosmic ultimate, cosmic pro carbon sl, zipp 404 nsw's and enve 4.5's

https://shop.mavic.com/en-be/cosmic-ult ... r0819.html
https://shop.mavic.com/en-be/cosmic-pro ... r0818.html

http://www.zipp.com/wheels/404-nsw-carbon-clincher---/

http://enve.com/products/ses-4-5/ with either CK45 or DT swiss 180.

If anyone had any experience, owns, reviews or more info it would be greatly appreciated to hear feedback,
Thanks, Scott
Last edited by scottmmw on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Enve.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dj97223

by dj97223

If cost v. performance is important, you should consider Bora or the Fulcrum equivalent. If you are in the US, you can get them from a Euro supplier (e.g., Starbike) much cheaper than Zipps or Enve. And I believe the performance is the same.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

scottmmw

by scottmmw

dj97223 wrote:If cost v. performance is important, you should consider Bora or the Fulcrum equivalent. If you are in the US, you can get them from a Euro supplier (e.g., Starbike) much cheaper than Zipps or Enve. And I believe the performance is the same.

Thanks but located in the UK. Would rule Bora out as using shimano groupset and just cannot get around the mismatch. Fulcrums possibly, have got a local stockist also.

scottmmw

by scottmmw

Nejmann wrote:Enve.

Is that based on anything?

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Bought the cosmic ultimate... waiting for them to arrive... let's see how they compare to LW MEILENSTEIN

Enviado do meu SM-G935F através de Tapatalk

elfuinha

by elfuinha

If they are better then the Mavic CCU... then they are great wheels...

scottmmw

by scottmmw

elfuinha wrote:Bought the cosmic ultimate... waiting for them to arrive... let's see how they compare to LW MEILENSTEIN

Would be good to let us know what you think about them once you've rode them, thanks

1415chris

by 1415chris

Referring to your criteria you can do quick selection.
First one is tubular, so out of equation.
If the price v performance is your priority, you can rule out Enves too, due to their local (UK) ridiculous pricing.
So you are lefl with Zipp 404 nsw vs Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C, £2k vs £1.2k.
Again it is not apple to apple case as both have very different rims' profile.
I think that Zipps will give you better performance, but that is only my guess as I did not have a pleasure to deal with both wheelsets.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I've been using the zipp 303 nsws for 4 months now and I'm very happy with them. Just one note: they have a very unique freehub sound that you might find strange. The braking performance is great!

I almost bought the mavic sl c set though, because they offer top level braking and acording to the tour magazine test they come very close to the fastest wheels in aero performance. They are not that deep so that makes them more comfortable in crosswind. I only picked the 303s because I'm a weight weenie, liked the wider profile and IMO they look better (the 303s are a bit lighter than the mavics). Also check out the warranty and crash replacement program in your country.

To be honest, it's very hard to beat the mavics in value.

scottmmw

by scottmmw

1415chris wrote:Referring to your criteria you can do quick selection.
First one is tubular, so out of equation.
If the price v performance is your priority, you can rule out Enves too, due to their local (UK) ridiculous pricing.
So you are lefl with Zipp 404 nsw vs Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C, £2k vs £1.2k.
Again it is not apple to apple case as both have very different rims' profile.
I think that Zipps will give you better performance, but that is only my guess as I did not have a pleasure to deal with both wheelsets.

Thanks for that, I was totally unaware the ultimates we're tubular, hence they are now not an option.

As for Enves, if the extra money was to be justified in extra performance then I would go with them.

scottmmw

by scottmmw

nemeseri wrote:I've been using the zipp 303 nsws for 4 months now and I'm very happy with them. Just one note: they have a very unique freehub sound that you might find strange. The braking performance is great!

I almost bought the mavic sl c set though, because they offer top level braking and acording to the tour magazine test they come very close to the fastest wheels in aero performance. They are not that deep so that makes them more comfortable in crosswind. I only picked the 303s because I'm a weight weenie, liked the wider profile and IMO they look better (the 303s are a bit lighter than the mavics). Also check out the warranty and crash replacement program in your country.

To be honest, it's very hard to beat the mavics in value.

I must admit, the Mavics do seem good value for what they are, and they seem to have the best braking surface, but I just wish they we're a little deeper. I was originally going go buy 404 NSW's but started to look at alternatives.

shoerhino

by shoerhino

I would say the Enve's would be my number 1 choice. Although they are more expensive, they have a 5 year warranty so at least you can be reasonably assured that you're investment is protected for 5 years although I've never dealt with them for a warranty claim.

guyc

by guyc

I've just opted for the Pro Carbon SL's. I couldn't stretch the Enve money.

For me they're a great balance of price, performance, rim depth, weight and braking in all weathers.

Plus they look sexy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com