Installing Challenge Open Tubular/Clincher tyres.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SteveW4130

by SteveW4130

I have just purchased a pair of Challenge Strada Bianca 30mm Open Tubular tyres and I'm seriously struggling to fit them. More specifically mount an inner tube without it being folded over. I have tried 90% installing the tyre fully and inflating it, leaving it overnight in the hope it takes some shape, lubing the inner tyre and the tube but I still can't get the tube to fit correctly. Fitting tyres shouldn't be this hard!! Any tricks or advise anyone could give me please?!

For reference my wheel is a new Felt tubeless ready with an internal rim width of 21mm.

Thanks
Steve

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sgergole

by sgergole

Challenge tyres are insanely difficult to install. Try putting them in the oven at 60 degrees for some minutes. Not joking, helps

SteveW4130

by SteveW4130

sgergole wrote:Challenge tyres are insanely difficult to install. Try putting them in the oven at 60 degrees for some minutes. Not joking, helps

So, forgive the rookie question, the problem I'm having is not so much the sidewall, it's the tread section of tyre remains flat and doesn't give the tube enough room inside the rim and tyre so in every way I've tried the tube is effectively 'too big' and would be folded over if fully fitted. Would warming the tyre allow the tread portion to sit less flat?

Thanks
Steve

F45

by F45

I'm an expert at this. I'll mount a latex tube with a new Parigi Roubaix with no trouble.

1. mount one bead of the tire in the center channel of the rim. It will look flat with the other bead hanging off.
2. inflate the tube so it has a round shape. stuff it in the space between the rim and the tire.
3. use your fingers to roll the other bead into the center channel, taking care the other bead stays in the center channel.
4. inflate to 20 psi and roll the tire back and forth to make sure the tube is all the way under.
5. inflate all the way.

SteveW4130

by SteveW4130

So to update on this, I have managed to get the tyres mounted onto a spare pair of wheels using a skinny inner tube and the wheel which I know is an 'easy fit'. I have got them inflated and I'm going to leave them for a few days in the hope they take some shape and then mount onto my tubeless rims easier!

Cheers
Steve

raven14

by raven14

Mount one bead in center channel. Fit inner tube, very slightly inflated. Mount other bead, starting from the opposite side of the valve, using your 2 hands, pushing the bead with your thumbs onto the rim and sliding the thumbs in the direction of the valve from the left and right hand side simultaneously. That way, you can minimize the slack in the already mounted portion of the tyre, and have the most possible play to work with for the last and most difficult part.

In general, it's not a problem if the tube is slightly folded in some places initially. You can resolve that by slightly inflating the tyre, deflating it, checking if it is now properly installed (unfolded), and inflate again.

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

Use talcum powder on the tubes. After mounting the tire, inflate and deflate, if needed more than once. The Tube will then seat itself correctly, as, because of the talcum, it is not sticking to the tire.

There is a very good FAQ section on the Challenge homepage; I am quite sure this method is also described there.

bomber

by bomber

I gave up trying to install Challenge Strada's on a set of tubeless compatible rims. Not because it couldn't be done but rather that I didn't want to be left stranded on the side of the road unable to remount them after a puncture. Shame as they look and feel amazing!
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

F45 wrote:I'm an expert at this. I'll mount a latex tube with a new Parigi Roubaix with no trouble.

1. mount one bead of the tire in the center channel of the rim. It will look flat with the other bead hanging off.
2. inflate the tube so it has a round shape. stuff it in the space between the rim and the tire.
3. use your fingers to roll the other bead into the center channel, taking care the other bead stays in the center channel.
4. inflate to 20 psi and roll the tire back and forth to make sure the tube is all the way under.
5. inflate all the way.

Yep.. these tires are a son of a bitch to mount, I do it exactly like this ^ with talcum powder

Once they're on, inflated, and ridden a few days they loosen up. Wouldn't stress about being stranded after a flat.

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:Once they're on, inflated, and ridden a few days they loosen up. Wouldn't stress about being stranded after a flat.

Exactly my experience with Challenge Grifos that were very hard to mount initially as well.

SteveW4130

by SteveW4130

Ok so I've finally got them installed. They did stretch out after being left for a few days. I've used a 25c inner tube for now along with using talcum powder so the tube install was much easier. With the tyres having been left inflated to stretch I actually managed to fit the second bead both times without needing tyre levers! I'm happy about that now as I too was worried about re-fitting after a puncture. I also have a pair of Grifo's so they will go on a spare set of wheels first before trying them on my tubeless rims! Thanks for all your comments and help, I'm super happy they are on!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com