Uber-light hill climbing competition tubulars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zoro

by Zoro

What can you suggest for tyres/tires?

These are for up only. Most likely not ridden down. I'm looking for the best / lightest tubular for an uphill competitive TT/s. They are on the road and subject to rock cuts. Glass will be at the minimum, but always a factor. Rolling resistance is important too. But I think weight is more so.

There are several climbs these may be used for, but they will see about 500k/year at most. On one climb the KOM ave speed is close to 16kph, 7% ave grade, 20K climb. Let's assume dry roads. Maybe a stupid assumption, but I have other options for wet.

Current setup is a very light 25mm wide, 50mm profile rims @1110g/pair. I'l likely put a light FMB 25mm silk on that. I could do a lighter narrower type. Thinking a Veloflex Record 22, but seems too narrow for that rim. I've used the Vitoria Cronos 24 and had bad flat luck with that, but it is also in consideration.

I don't really want to spend the money on some super light wheels but would sure have fun if I did. Thinking something 800g/pair - like the SRT24s.
Last edited by Zoro on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gehenna

by Gehenna

http://www.extralite.com/Products/CyberClimb%20A25.htm

I'm sure i've heard of others that come sub 800, but i can't remember them atm

Zoro

by Zoro

Gehenna wrote:http://www.extralite.com/Products/CyberClimb%20A25.htm

I'm sure i've heard of others that come sub 800, but i can't remember them atm

I'm sorry - I was unclear. I'm looking for the tyres/tires. Yes, those are the rims. But what I have is only 230g more massive - with those Extralite hubs, and wide and 50mm profile. So, spending that cash is big thing to justify.

Best tubular tires...

For a 25 and for narrower setup.

Gehenna

by Gehenna

Oh i'm sorry, i miss-read. Sorry, i don't know anything about tubulars

mattr

by mattr

TBH, grip is at more of a premium than light weight!

I did a hill climb BITD with some ultra light wheels and track tubs, 22mm iirc. Completely mangled the rim thanks to torque issues and as the hill was slightly damp, got no grip at all. Went back to GP4s and some nice vittoria road tubs for the rest of the season. Finished every other race.....

richscott

by richscott

Vittoria corsa - you will always get to the finish line. I agree cronos can be a risk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zoro

by Zoro

mattr wrote:TBH, grip is at more of a premium than light weight!

I did a hill climb BITD with some ultra light wheels and track tubs, 22mm iirc. Completely mangled the rim thanks to torque issues and as the hill was slightly damp, got no grip at all. Went back to GP4s and some nice vittoria road tubs for the rest of the season. Finished every other race.....

My OP mentioned wet was not a consideration. I have great wheels/tyres for that, and will put them on if it is wet.
This is Aug 13. It will most likely be dry.
I'm looking for <200g Tubular glue-on tyres.

I will most likely use Soyo track glue.

mattr

by mattr

Yeah, missed that. Sorry.

August 13. Dry. Guess you aren't in the UK then ;)

mattr

by mattr

TBH, Thinking about this, you're not going to find much that's both lighter than 200 AND wider than a veloflex record 22 and any good.
Even a Sonderklasse is 220 ish. But 23mm. From what i can remember the Vittoria Pistas (bit lighter, but come up narrow) are slightly lighter. Might be worth a trawl through their website. See what lighter track tubs they offer. Probably down sub 175, not sure what durability will be like though.

Other option is (as always) Tufo. That'll be light. S3 (?) is under 200, they will almost certainly have lighter. Have heard of 150 gram.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Tufo S3 elite weight - the older generation ones are lighter.

Zoro

by Zoro

I pretty much decided. The short list was:
Veloflex Record 22 @ 170g (mfg) - too thin
Vittoria Crono CS 22 @ 185g (mine) - too vulnerable to flats
FMB 25s with record tread @220g - too fat unless I go 25mm rims
Vittoria Corsa Speed G+ Tubular Road - 200g reported
FMB 24mm with record tread - 210g guess I can use on thinner or wider rims.

I'm ordering the FMBs and Vittoria Corsa Speed G+ Tubular

mattr wrote:...
August 13. Dry. Guess you aren't in the UK then ;)

It may rain - but then I use a different setup. This is for the USA Hill Climb Championship.
I *think* (corrections welcome) that this is the highest competitive paved road event there is.
Start is @ 2700m, finish at 4,200+m

atakaoka

by atakaoka

Why not Veloflex Extreme?
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

Zoro

by Zoro

atakaoka wrote:Why not Veloflex Extreme?
Simplest answer was I did not know about it. Second simplest is I ordered the Vitorias and will order some silk FMB. I have the Veloflex Record 22s that are about 170g.

They look like a great tyre. But at 240g EA they bring an extra 80-100g over what I put in my list. I have not heard how they roll.

What is a bit tough is that the fine silks are rarely tested for Crr. Some will sneak in every now and then, but generally those with thicker larger tread. I still think/feel that the FMB silks with a thin tread are a better rolling tyre than anything else of that size and weight.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I used to ride the old CS Cronos for their weight. The 22mm was ok, but I wanted wider, so I tried the 24mm. Out of 4 of the 24mm tires, NONE went further than 40 miles. Done with that line.

Last summer was my first season on the Speed G+ (only made in 23mm). Outstanding grip. Weights were close to advertised.
And no flats at all, runinng both front & rear, though I concede that maybe I was just lucky. You owe it to yourself to try at least one.

Zoro

by Zoro

The Speed G+ are the Vittoria's I ordered. I also had the Crono CS and they flatted like crazy (I think I posted that). This primary race is <20K so if they worked for that, I'd be happy. But then there is the test riding etc. Not worth it IMO.
The Veloflex Record 22 is also very nice. The Speed G+ should be here Fri night.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com