Zipp 202 NSW

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

airpoppoff

by airpoppoff

Anyone rode them yet? I cant really find any good reviews from normal riders anywhere.

http://www.zipp.com/wheels/202-nsw-carbon-clincher---/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Yeah I've been looking as well. Nobody wanting to shell out retail for them. I'd certainly be more willing to pull the trigger if a set came up on the 'bay for half price (what they're really worth).

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I have the NSW 303 and it shares the same hub and brake track. I got them from slane cycles and they have the 202 NSW in stock (http://www.slanecycles.com/zipp-202-nsw ... 28370.html).

I put around 1,500 miles into mine. I think braking is great on the new NSW rims. In dry it's absolutely as good as alloy. In wet, it offers the best carbon braking performance I've ever experienced (= meaning it's not awful in wet). The hubs are smooth and good looking. It's light for a carbon clincher, while it seems to be very well built.

A few cons: the hubs make a very odd sound coasting that you may or may not like. It's not like the usual buzz, it's very different than anything I've heard. With the 303 there is some lateral flexing that might be different with the 202. It's fine, but I have to keep more gap between my brakes and rims than I like.
Also, for me, the braking seems to be sensitive to brake pad alignment. I had to play with my pads to eliminate some vibration coming from the rear. This is probably a very isolated thing and might be frame / wheel combo specific.

Rippin

by Rippin

Just a note on Zipp's cognition rear hubs - because they use magnets to re-engage the ratchets, they're not compatible with the current Garmin speed sensor (the one that wraps around the hub). You could mount the sensor on the front hub...
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

Beaver

by Beaver

That flexing of the 303 won't be better with the 202. It's a Zipp "tradition" and I would only recommend these wheels to lighter riders. Reason is the narrow hub flange distance (keeps the spokes out of the wind for better aerodynamics). With that angle and CX Ray spokes you can't expect too much...

In addition they are - meanwhile - narrow 16C and a bit behind for that price point.

The new Enve SES 3.4 e.g. would be a better choice and have the same/better braking performance.

DaReef

by DaReef

I have 404NSWs I like them. I have other cheaper rims and like them just as much. But, if you really want Zipps, you won't regret the purchase.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

nemeseri wrote:I have the NSW 303 and it shares the same hub and brake track. I got them from slane cycles and they have the 202 NSW in stock (http://www.slanecycles.com/zipp-202-nsw ... 28370.html).

I put around 1,500 miles into mine. I think braking is great on the new NSW rims. In dry it's absolutely as good as alloy. In wet, it offers the best carbon braking performance I've ever experienced (= meaning it's not awful in wet). The hubs are smooth and good looking. It's light for a carbon clincher, while it seems to be very well built.

A few cons: the hubs make a very odd sound coasting that you may or may not like. It's not like the usual buzz, it's very different than anything I've heard. With the 303 there is some lateral flexing that might be different with the 202. It's fine, but I have to keep more gap between my brakes and rims than I like.
Also, for me, the braking seems to be sensitive to brake pad alignment. I had to play with my pads to eliminate some vibration coming from the rear. This is probably a very isolated thing and might be frame / wheel combo specific.

404 is also a little flexy, though the 808 nsw is not. They brake just as awfully in the rain as any regular carbon wheels.
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

hypercycler

by hypercycler

I've found the wet brake performance on the NSW is actually better then the other Zipp FCs I've had. Still not as good as aluminum brake track but they do brake.

Shrike

by Shrike

Was eying them up too. ENVE 2.2s are definitely out, everyone says the brake rub is horrible. Their review on the ENVE site are godawful.

Looking for something super light and stiff for pure hill sprint sessions. Maybe the Fulcrum Zero Carbons, or Mavic R-Sys?

DaReef

by DaReef

The Roval 50s are worth looking at. I have a set of 50 tubulars and they are stiff and crazy light.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If one is concerned about wheel stiffness, the best option is a wheel with 21 spokes in the rear (i.e. assymetrical spoking). I have had Shimano wheels and now I have Campy wheels. Although the parts are not industry standard and repairs could mean some downtime, I can say without the slightest doubt that 21 spokes offer the stiffest wheel, far more than a 24 spoke from Zipp or Enve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beaver

by Beaver

The problem with Enve and Zipp is, that they use 24 CX-Ray/DT Aerolite spokes. Drive side with CX Sprint/DT Aero Comp would be much stiffer.

These use 7 DT Aerolite and 14 Aero Comp on the rear wheel and are super stiff: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/slr-0 ... road-black

F45

by F45

Beaver wrote:
In addition they are - meanwhile - narrow 16C and a bit behind for that price point.

Maybe in your opinion. There's little point in making a 25mm outer rim be 20mm inner width. The tire is going to balloon wider than the rim and defeat the aerodynamics. 16/25 is perfect.

Beaver

by Beaver

Yes, that's right. But why don't they do 17.25mm inner width with 26.4mm at the brake track like on their other wheels? Most people will at least run 23mm tires and they perform better on wider rims.

The best regarding aerodynamics would be the Bontrager Aeolus D3 with 19mm inner and 27mm outer width. Or Boyd 44mm:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Beaver wrote:The problem with Enve and Zipp is, that they use 24 CX-Ray/DT Aerolite spokes. Drive side with CX Sprint/DT Aero Comp would be much stiffer.

These use 7 DT Aerolite and 14 Aero Comp on the rear wheel and are super stiff: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/slr-0 ... road-black

I was under the impression that 2 cross lacing pattern (24 or 28 spokes) preferred by wheel builders make stiffer and stronger wheels over 14 spokes drive side and 7 spokes non-drive side. Isn't the sole purpose of this to save weight by having less spokes?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder