Roval CLX50s

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Specialized is launching the new 50mm deep rims of their Roval wheel brand. Quoting road.cc here
road.cc wrote:The design goal was to create a 45-55mm wheelset with a sub-1,400g weight to maximise aero performance, while also offering tubeless compatibility and an on-trend wide rim, says the company. It calls the result the “the unicorn wheel.”

What do you guys think about them? I'm wondering if 50s or 64s will be better for my riding (I'm building the disc ViAS at the moment) - 64s should be fine for flatlands but these 50s look pretty neat as well..

Full article here: http://road.cc/content/tech-news/215514 ... de-profile

mile2424

by mile2424

They look pretty nice! I love my 64's on my Vias, but these might be a good alternate if your doing a lot of climbing. Looks like the best of both worlds on these.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

Yeah these hoops seem impressive on paper.
- 2:1 lacing
- aero hub shell with dt swiss 240 innards and CeramicSpeed bearings.
- textured brake track
- 20.1mm internal width, optimized for 24mm race tires, they should be pretty comfy and roll fast
- Windtunnel tested with supplied whitepaper. Not that it proves much, but better than no data.
- 1375g quoted for clincher. That is mighty impressive, though bikeradar's actual weiht comes in at 1400g. Still lighter than all carbon clinchers at this height.
- Price a bit lower than Zipp nsw?

Seem like a killer wheels really. I tested the CLX64 last year with the Vias. They were great and smooth. Might actually go for the 50 when release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoney

by stoney

Light, aero, wide, tubeless compatible...what's not to like? I wonder how durable this wheelset would be?

moonoi

by moonoi

I wish they would release the CL version of their wheelsets to retail, I have a set of CL64 that came with my. Allez sprint and in use I can't tell the difference between them and the CLX64. Clearly I don't need ceramic bearings.....

lovemyway

by lovemyway

How do you guys with 64 wheels like them? I'm not sure if I should get 2 CLX64s, 2 CLX50s or CLX50 in the front and CLX64 in the back combo. I live in the flat area (maximum of 1km elevation per ~120km distance) but then I have zero experience with deep section wheels (I mean I rode them on Specialized Test Event for 1 or 2 hours but that's it). These CLX50 looks pretty "safe" to me, but I'm not sure how I feel about the pattern on the rim.

moonoi

by moonoi

I've done proper hill climbing and descending on my 64's. They do get blown about in high crosswinds, but not too bad and certainly easier to manage than my previous Vision Metron 55 in the same conditions.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Rim depth is no longer the pivot of aero. Study the fundamentals of rim profile instead. To put this into perspective, Roval 32 showed strides over Roval 40. In other word, deeper is not necessary faster.

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jino

by jino

The best clincher wheel