Fastest Front Wheel for TT (w/ tire) 2017

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zoro

by Zoro

nemeseri wrote:
Zoro wrote:
nemeseri wrote:... I would not pick a tubular tire if you have an alternative, less room for error....

What does that mean?

The glue job is a critical factor in the CRR of a tubular tire. There is significant difference even between glues. If one of your main concerns is crr (in TT it should be), without proper equipment, it's really hard to tell if a glue job works well..
Detailed info: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwhVX- ... view?pli=1

I don't believe that's tubulars are slower than clinchers, but if you don't have the time and equipment to test your tires, I think clinchers are a better choice. With tubulars, with proper gluing and testing you can end up with the same CRR as clinchers... so why make your life harder? In crit or road race? Sure, they make sense!

I agree with your post. I'm a very experienced "gluer". I'm going to a hard track glue here. Soyo or shellac.
This is up hill 7%-10% for an hour - mass start, but will thin and become an small selection then most likely TT. There is no way I would take an extra 300-500g of wheel mass for a clincher.
And - you can't get the best clinchers as you can the tubulars. There are no clincher silk options, or anything like a Veloflex Record 22.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Zoro wrote:
nemeseri wrote:I agree with your post. I'm a very experienced "gluer". I'm going to a hard track glue here. Soyo or shellac.
This is up hill 7%-10% for an hour - mass start, but will thin and become an small selection then most likely TT. There is no way I would take an extra 300-500g of wheel mass for a clincher.
And - you can't get the best clinchers as you can the tubulars. There are no clincher silk options, or anything like a Veloflex Record 22.

If you take the time to "fancy glue" your tires that's a slightly different story. Especially if it's an uphill time trial, but the OP asked a very generic question. In a perfect world everybody would be able to test their setup in the wind tunnel and confirm the low crr of a tire / glue job before a TT. Without spending thousands for testing, I really believe you can end up with 98% of the crr and cda benefits, just make an educated guess.

For example I think it's hard to say that there is something faster on the front for a flat TT than the H3+ with tubeless vittoria corsa speed. Clearly you might be able to find a better combo if you properly test wheel / tire and bike combinations.

Zoro

by Zoro

Well that threw me. I have my own thread going on tyres - and I thought I was the OP. Sorry to be so picky - I had the wrong thread in mind.

As I posted in this thread I purchased the Vittoria (new one that is fast). But I'm not seeing tests against the tire I think is the fastest - an FMB silk with light tread. Maybe G+ is better than silk, but as you said educated guesses work pretty well.