Looking for wheels under $750, bullet 50, shamal ultra, flo 30, other?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartacus

by spartacus

The aforementioned wheels are basically in my top 3 at the moment. I would like aero wheels to see what all the fuss is about but I do a good amount of climbing. Not really sure what to do. I do some racing and a small gain in efficiency above 20mph would probably make a big difference. The bullet 50's seem like the best deal at under $700 from UK but they're on the heavy side compared to the shamal. The flo might be an inbetween choice but I'm not sold on them versus campy wheels which I believe will be solid.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yongkun

by yongkun

Zonda c17, just bought one, was very impressed coming from Pacenti SL23 and HED Belgium C2 previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Multebear wrote:http://www.boydcycling.com/2016-altamont-alloy-clincher-rear-wheel/

Another vote for Altamont. I'm ordering my second set of these.

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Multebear

by Multebear

@mpulsiv what is your experience with the Altamonts? Do you find them durable enough? And have you given them some km's in bad weather? I find them very interesting.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Multebear wrote:@mpulsiv what is your experience with the Altamonts? Do you find them durable enough? And have you given them some km's in bad weather? I find them very interesting.

Yes, the wheels are durable. I ordered 24/28 spokes for extra stiffness and durability. I'm a firm believer that penalty of 8 extra spokes is well worth it and it's irrelevant of rider weight, whether you are 120 lbs. or 200 lbs.
The only other wheelset I would consider next to Boyd Altamont is AForce Al33 viewtopic.php?t=140364

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GambadiLegno

by GambadiLegno

IMO you need to know what's the purpose of the wheelset you want to buy, clearly. Bullets and Shamals are totally different.

Anyway, I'd not buy 50mm alloy wheels. If you want aerodynamics, carbon wheels. Alloy rims for an aero wheelset put a lot of weight, they were made only for people who don't want tubulars or cannot pay for them and still want aero wheels, but they are IMO the worst type of wheelset you can buy. That's the reason why all manufacturers started to build carbon tyre wheels.

If I were you, I'll go for Shamal without any doubt. Or better, Zondas and then put ceramic bearings on them!