Alu clincher wheel dilemma

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

F45

by F45

The DT and HED wheelsets use consumer production rims with the special coating. You could replace one yourself, just wouldn't be all black.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Multebear wrote:Black braketrack on alloy wheels is just a shitty solution. As mentioned in other topics, eventually it will wear of. Many, including myself, have been in your situation, but have just acceptet, that even though silver braketrack doesn't look as good, you still get excellent braking. And if you want black braketrack that stays black, then buy carbon wheels. It doesn't have to be tubs. With e.g. Zipp 202 clincher, you get a wheelset at 1450 grams, but you are still way more aero than the Mavics. And aero trumps weight in most situations even when climbing. I think the Zipps would be a faster wheelset for you than the Mavics. And they are very easy on the eyes.

There are 5 different Zipp 202 wheels. The most affordable is over $2000. That's nearly 4x more expensive in contrast to AForce AL33 viewtopic.php?t=140364

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

mpulsiv wrote:
Multebear wrote:
e.g. Zipp 202 clincher, you get a wheelset at 1450 grams, but you are still way more aero than the Mavics.

There are 5 different Zipp 202 wheels. The most affordable is over $2000. That's nearly 4x more expensive in contrast to AForce AL33 viewtopic.php?t=140364

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just offering the OP alternatives. I mentioned the Zipps merely as an example, because most people are familiar with them.

There obviously are cheaper alternatives out there. Personally I prefer Farsports rims. I usually pay around $ 400 for a set of rims. I think their prebuild wheelsets with 240s hubs are around $ 900. But I build them myself. And if you build Farsports 25*30 mm rims with Tune hubs and lets say 18/20 spokeconfig to accommodate the weight of OP, the wheels will weigh in at around 1.280 grams, which is pretty damn good for a wide, toroid shaped, clincher wheelset at less than $ 1000.

Besides that, I wouldn't compare with AForce AL33 rims (at least not yet). Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK it's a brand new rim, with no unbiased longterm reviews, and they are just shy of 500 grams a rim.

plpete

by plpete

Wanted to post an update. After talking to a few riders that have actually owned the wheels, mostly the previous Exilith 1 version, I decided to take the plunge. Also the price was too good to pass up. Seemed like many of the comments came from people who have not had direct experience with the wheels so I took those as hearsay. A buddy of mine has done some serious Alpine descents on his original SLRs and they have held up perfectly fine for two years now. Onto some photos and actual weights...

Wheels with Mavic (made by Hutchinson) tires.

Exilith2 brake surface. The grooves didn't seem as sharp and deep as in the v1 Exilith. The rim is the newer design which is more rounded and not the older boxy type. It is also slightly wider but nothing like the current trend. I'd compare the width to Shimano C24 clinchers that I owned.

Mavic skewers

Front wheel. No tire and tube mounted. The wheels came with no rim strip as it looks it's not needed as there are no spoke holes in the rim bed.

Rear wheel. No tire and tube mounted.

So the bare wheels came in at 1395 grams. That's 40 grams over the claimed 1355 grams. Wish that discrepancy was smaller but I'll live with it. I thought Mavic had a decent reputation for providing true weights. Wonder where the 40 grams went...

Stock tubes. Made by Kenda. Are there other decent butyl tubes that are lighter?

Tires that came with the wheels. Pretty much the same weight as my Vittoria Corsa CS clinchers that I will be running.

Vittorias

Front and rear wheels with tubes and Vittoria tires pumped to 90psi.

The complete wheel set with tires comes in at just a hair over 2000 grams at 2004. I'm sure I can get that a bit down with some lighter tuber. Probably wont venture to latex but would definitely use some recommendations on light butyl tubes. Hope to get some miles in this weekend and will try to post an update with some impressions and how the wheels are holding up.

lockxchg

by lockxchg

There are lighter butyl tubes, 2lo8 has reviewed some: https://2lo8.wordpress.com/2016/06/02/f ... tube-48mm/

Also those skewers are a boat anchor, get cheap Ti ones, those will weigh around 50g for the set.