Gipfelsturm

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KCookie

by KCookie

mrgray wrote:@kcookie knows what he means and so do i :)

do let us know how you get on once you have the wheel. i'm sure it will improve your enjoyment of riding 100%. an alternative would be to buy some hyperons which are wonderful wheels and the pair (second hand) won't cost you what one gipf will cost. then you will know total cross wind stability and sure footed smoothness! save LW's for days when the wind isn't blowing.

Cheers, just a thick pom, but I know what I mean. :D
Yes I'll look into some Hyperons, didn't think of any other wheel, just thought Lightweights would match better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

mrgray wrote:@kcookie knows what he means and so do i :)

do let us know how you get on once you have the wheel. i'm sure it will improve your enjoyment of riding 100%. an alternative would be to buy some hyperons which are wonderful wheels and the pair (second hand) won't cost you what one gipf will cost. then you will know total cross wind stability and sure footed smoothness! save LW's for days when the wind isn't blowing.

mrgray you've got me thinking now, been looking at the Schmolke 30 SL tubular Wheelset, $200 cheaper than just the front Gipfelsturm. Only a 100g penalty to, or I could just use the front which comes in at the same weight, decisions, decisions. !!!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Always run matching pairs [emoji14]
Using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

So would you prefer to ride with a Gipfelsturm up front with an Obie for rear or a pair of Schmolke 30 T. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mrgray

by mrgray

i concur with matching pairs. even the gipf and meil combo wasn't my favourite aesthetically. i'd recommend a whole new wheelset and the schmolkes seem like a good deal (relative to a set of gipfs). problem for me is that a low profile rim and normal spokes looks too normal. gipfs look cooler. your bike would look best with fernwegs, looks awesome with meils, will look cool with gipfs. you might find normal relatively low profile wheels with normal sized spokes and hubs don't do it for you. (i took bike from sydney to france for riding and it was an S&S bike that brakes in half for packing in a case. i couldn't take the lightweights in that case (wrenches and all sorts knocking around in it). i took hyperons. hyperons are the best wheels in the world. true, strong, smooth, comfortable. still killed me i couldn't have the LWs just because they have that rad factor.

i provide photographs to support my points below. lightweights have big looking hubs. for some reason this, combined with thick spokes looks cool. when you add the deep wheel (fernweg) to this, the combination becomes too much for the eyes to cope with.

see kgt's cipollini bond with gipfs. looks great.

see cipollini on a cipollini with meils. looks great

now see a cipollini with fernwegs - amazing i think (i want these wheels so badly even though they make no sense whatsoever)

and finally a cipollini on low profile wheels with normal spokes and hubs - hmmm

also i found this image whilst finding images for this post and must include it (apropos of nothing and without comment) :D

Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

kgt

by kgt

Another thing one should consider IMHO is stiffness. My guess is that Gipfelsturms are way stiffer than Schmolke. Even for lighter riders wheel stiffness is a good thing.

KCookie

by KCookie

I totally agree that a pair of Gipfelsturms do look cool and would be my ultimate choice for windy days, but way out my price range atm. Didn't really won't to spend more than $2k. I can see your point though on the hubs and spokes on other wheels. Either I will have to wait and save for the pair or get the front for now and the rear later. I reckon the Gipfs would turn out to be my number one wheels as it always seems to be windy in the Adelaide hills.
Been looking for a second hand pair but can't find any. Kgt do you won't to sell yours. !!!

kgt

by kgt

I also got my wheels slightly used for less than half the price. I could never afford buy them at premium price either.
I hope that I will never have to sell them! IME it is the ultimate wheelset.