Torn between two new wheelset choices, any consensus advice?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cadence90

by cadence90

cobrakai wrote:
cadence90 wrote:Interesting, thank you. I have not read many, if any, reports criticizing the Zondas for not being durable. I myself, at +/- 225#/100kg, have actually never broken a spoke, knock on wood. In any case, I try to always have a few spare spokes on hand.

To clarify, I have not heard anything negative about the Zondas in particular. Most reviews praise them for durability. I was just referring to factory wheelsets with proprietary parts in general. It's unlikely you would need a replacement spoke but as you said, they aren't even available yet in NA.

I'm sure you will be happy with either choice, my preference for handbuilt over factory is just an opinion.

Completely understood, thank you.

I just emailed Campagnolo ITA to ask when Zonda C17 replacement spokes will be available in the US.
I will post their reply here whenever I receive it.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm... I don't know about the Zondas, but when I started riding Boras I was able to get their spoke replacement kit. It has 6 spokes and nipples, 2 of each size used in the wheelset. It is collecting dust, but it's nice to know I have them for a quick replacement if necessary. I would think the Zondas have a similar spoke replacement kit, but I've never checked. I'm in North America. I would check the spare parts docs on the Zonda wheelset... if they list the spoke replacement kit then it should be available if you order it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

cadence90

by cadence90

Calnago wrote:Hmmm... I don't know about the Zondas, but when I started riding Boras I was able to get their spoke replacement kit. It has 6 spokes and nipples, 2 of each size used in the wheelset. It is collecting dust, but it's nice to know I have them for a quick replacement if necessary. I would think the Zondas have a similar spoke replacement kit, but I've never checked. I'm in North America. I would check the spare parts docs on the Zonda wheelset... if they list the spoke replacement kit then it should be available if you order it.

Yes, I have seen those 6-spoke "Mini Kits" around...definitely nice to have on hand.

I am in NA (USA) as well. Looking around, I am not even sure that the Zonda C17 wheels themselves are currently being sold in the USA. I may be wrong, but all the places I find that are selling them seem to be European shops. If the wheels are not currently in the US market, it would make sense that the replacement spokes are not yet here either.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Swannie

by Swannie

+1 for Zonda.
Shame there are so few 'real life' pics on the 'net.
I'm not sure what to buy, just based on looks: zonda vs shamal...

cadence90

by cadence90

Swannie wrote:+1 for Zonda.
Shame there are so few 'real life' pics on the 'net.
I'm not sure what to buy, just based on looks: zonda vs shamal...

What do you mean by "just based on looks"? The Zonda and Shamal look exactly the same to me.

From what I have read, many people seem to think that the Zonda C17s sit in a very sweet spot in the Campagnolo line-up: excellent/quality ratio (~60% less than Shamal C17s); decent weight; very durable; steel spokes.

moonoi

by moonoi

I'm a tad heavier than you are and have recently switched to the older Shamal Mille C15 on my C60. In the past I've used Eurus as well and had no issues at all with breaking spokes, back then I was 30Kg heavier as well (and over the weight limit for them, though I didn't know that at the time)

Sorry I don't have a better picture of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swannie

by Swannie

cadence90 wrote:What do you mean by "just based on looks"? The Zonda and Shamal look exactly the same to me.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the spokes on the Shamal look 'wider' than those on Zonda.

moonoi

by moonoi

They are

cadence90

by cadence90

moonoi wrote:I'm a tad heavier than you are and have recently switched to the older Shamal Mille C15 on my C60. In the past I've used Eurus as well and had no issues at all with breaking spokes, back then I was 30Kg heavier as well (and over the weight limit for them, though I didn't know that at the time)

Sorry I don't have a better picture of it.

What were you using prior to the Shamal C15? Did you try any C17 models?

Swannie wrote:
cadence90 wrote:What do you mean by "just based on looks"? The Zonda and Shamal look exactly the same to me.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the spokes on the Shamal look 'wider' than those on Zonda.

Oh, sorry, I meant general appearance. Yes, I think the Shamal spokes are maybe slightly wider, being alu rather than steel?

Edit: moonoi confirmed.

moonoi

by moonoi

I was using Vision Metron 55, I didn't like the ride quality and as I'm planning to do some serious mountain descents over the next few months (Doi Inthanon in Thailand) also thought an alu wheel and braking surface is probably safer than a carbon deep section wheel with my weight.

I wanted the C17, but it wasn't available over here at the time, and import taxes to buy from abroad are too high.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Just get front Alloy wheel for event in the mountains. Cheap, wind resistant, great braking performance.