Using carbon brake pads on alloy rims?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

If it's the little retaining screw, that's the problem, you might look into some other braking shoes. If I'm not mistaken, my previous cx bike with avid shorty ultimate brakes had vertical instead of horizontal retaining screws.

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

Cool man any link?

in watt mode
πατα τραβα ρε

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gmakris

by gmakris

I ditched the retain screw few years ago...no issues since we are not moving backwards... :D

Marin

by Marin

I don't have retaining bolts on my Ciamillo Zero Gs, and I've had the pads slide halfway out of the holder during chat stops where I'd sit on the top tube by the side of the road waiting for the slower riders to finish the climb ;)

They slide back in when I brake again moving forward =0

mattr

by mattr

TBH. Something as simple as just gently closing the tail of the holder up should hold the pads in.

glepore

by glepore

The only issue I've had with no retaining screws is loosing the pads when loading bike in car without wheels on.

The ee padholders solve this issue, but are pricey.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

GambadiLegno

by GambadiLegno

I used to use them on alloy rims when I was in a hurry and had no time to change them. But I wouldn't recommend it at all. That's one of the disadvantages of using carbon and alloy wheels...

My conclusion is that when having more than one wheelset, they all have to be carbon wheelsets or alloy :lol: