Wheelset suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kublaiboy

by kublaiboy

Guys,

I'm new to this forum. I would like to get a set of training wheels(rim brake clincher) which has a good balance of weight, stiffness and aerodynamics. Ideally, I'd like to keep the set under $1000. Alloy or carbon don't matter much to me as long as they brake well and durable.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

KB

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You can spend half that and get a brilliant set. Spending twice that will not make the wheels any better. You will have just spent more.

Carbon rims are viable if you dont ride steep decents on the brakes.

Look at Kinlin rims or DT swiss rims. Hubs could be Miche, Hope or similar. I think the kinlin XR31T is hard to beat. cheap and reliable. wide and deep. Whats not to like?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kublaiboy

by kublaiboy

bm0p700f wrote:You can spend half that and get a brilliant set. Spending twice that will not make the wheels any better. You will have just spent more.

Carbon rims are viable if you dont ride steep decents on the brakes.

Look at Kinlin rims or DT swiss rims. Hubs could be Miche, Hope or similar. I think the kinlin XR31T is hard to beat. cheap and reliable. wide and deep. Whats not to like?

http://www.bikehubstore.com/product-p/x ... it2024.htm

Just found those. 30mm deep rims at 1400g range, not bad at all. They will roll a bike faster than my usual non-aero box section 22mm rims on flats, no? Like the matt black finish. Love the price! Anyone used this before?

I ride hilly roads. Carbon rims just don't brake well especially if I want to brake a bit hard before entering a hair pin. I don't ride on the brakes, but I do want to brake well before entering a sharp turn. My Specialized Roval CX40 Rapide wheels are slow on braking. I have to brake them a lot earlier to slow them down before a sharp turn.

jeremyschieler

by jeremyschieler

There are great deals in the classified section nearly every week that would seem to meet your needs. H+ son, hed Ardennes, shim c24s, and all but the shims appear w/ great options on hubs (CK, DTs, shim, and others). There are a couple of builders on here as well that will give you a great set of wheels for well under your budget. In my experience they can give you some advice about what to buy based on your weight, riding style etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kublaiboy

by kublaiboy

jeremyschieler wrote:There are great deals in the classified section nearly every week that would seem to meet your needs. H+ son, hed Ardennes, shim c24s, and all but the shims appear w/ great options on hubs (CK, DTs, shim, and others). There are a couple of builders on here as well that will give you a great set of wheels for well under your budget. In my experience they can give you some advice about what to buy based on your weight, riding style etc.

Sorry, where is the classified section? I can't find it.

Multebear

by Multebear

kublaiboy wrote:
Any suggestions? Thanks.

KB

Where are you located? It's easier to put up some links, if we know, if you're in EU, GB, AUS or US.

kublaiboy

by kublaiboy

Multebear wrote:
kublaiboy wrote:
Any suggestions? Thanks.

KB

Where are you located? It's easier to put up some links, if we know, if you're in EU, GB, AUS or US.

I'm in US. SF Bay Area actually. I have a set of WH-9000 C24. I really like. There're my climbing wheels

I'm now looking for a set of wheels that are more aero. Mostly for rolling hills.i still want alloy rims so I don't need to remember to swap out brake pads for carbon rims.

AJS914

by AJS914

I'd get some November Cycles wheels with the White Industries hubs.

http://www.novemberbicycles.com/select/

The Kinlin rims you linked to are supposed to be great. I'd be tempted to wait for the Aforce Ai33 rims to come available - supposedly soon.

If you read their current blog, there is a code for free shipping as well as a tease on a budget $500 set of wheels.

http://www.novemberbicycles.com/blog/

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Boyd Altmont is a fantastic wheelset http://www.boydcycling.com/2016-altamon ... ront-wheel as well as upcoming AForce Al33 http://www.novemberbicycles.com/blog/20 ... l#comments

You can certainly save ~$150 by getting Kinlin XR31T or DT Swiss 460 but these will be a less deep, narrow rims with marginal aero penalty. Not to mention narrower brake track (e.g. brake pads are wider than brake track), it's never a good thing.

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

kublaiboy

by kublaiboy

mpulsiv wrote:Boyd Altmont is a fantastic wheelset http://www.boydcycling.com/2016-altamon ... ront-wheel as well as upcoming AForce Al33 http://www.novemberbicycles.com/blog/20 ... l#comments

You can certainly save ~$150 by getting Kinlin XR31T or DT Swiss 460 but these will be a less deep, narrow rims with marginal aero penalty. Not to mention narrower brake track (e.g. brake pads are wider than brake track), it's never a good thing.

I actually pledged on a set of AForce rims, then backed out at the last minute. It requires you to use their own brake pads which I found it's just a hassle to swap pads every time you change wheels. I actually have a set of Mavic R-Sys SLR Exalith wheels which requires the Exalith 1/2 pads. They look very much like the AForce, all matt black. Very cool looking. I suppose the ceramic/anodized black brake track requires a special type of pads. The FLO alloy rims are the same deal. The owner told me that the anodized black brake tracks will eventually wear out.

Boyd Altamont seems to be cool. Can you remove those ugly Boyd rim decals?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I thought there are 2 versions of AForce Al33. One with ceramic brake track but I'm unaware of a specific brake pads for this application. The brake track will not wear out.
In contrast, Flo 30 brake track is anodized and you can use any brake pad you wish. If you keep the wheels dry, brake track will remain black for thousands of miles.
I highly recommend Kool-Stop salmon brake pads for dry and wet. The compound not as hard as Shimano, think longevity of brake track and they stop on a dime! I threw away my Dura Ace pads and never looked back www.koolstop.com/english/dura_type.html

No, Boyd decals are not coming off as they are under clear coat. Grey color decals look fine.

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

kublaiboy

by kublaiboy

mpulsiv wrote:I thought there are 2 versions of AForce Al33. One with ceramic brake track but I'm unaware of a specific brake pads for this application. The brake track will not wear out.
In contrast, Flo 30 brake track is anodized and you can use any brake pad you wish. If you keep the wheels dry, brake track will remain black for thousands of miles.
I highly recommend Kool-Stop salmon brake pads for dry and wet. The compound not as hard as Shimano, think longevity of brake track and they stop on a dime! I threw away my Dura Ace pads and never looked back http://www.koolstop.com/english/dura_type.html

No, Boyd decals are not coming off as they are under clear coat. Grey color decals look fine.

I checked out the FLO30 wheelset. They're over 1600g. 30mm deep rims add much weight penalty?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Flo 30 was the first 30mm aluminum rim, introduced back in 2012 hence it's a bit heavier, ~ 570 grams. The rim was designed for max aero, not weight savings. Fast forward 4 years, Boyd Altamont and AForce Al33 made the splash. Their rims ~480 grams.

The sole purpose of these 3 is to yield max aero at an affordable price. If you are looking for something under 1500 grams then these wheels are not for you.

kervelo

by kervelo

You can shave some weight with the Easton R90 SL rims. The profile is 27mm/24mm, but the weight is just 450-455g. The quality of the rim is very high.
https://www.eastoncycling.com/products/ ... r90-sl-rim

November bicycles has a blog post of these rims too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

I agree with the othes. The options at November look decent. Just pick the rims you like and pair them with the WI T11 hubs. Or you could go completely custom, and buy the rims and hubs you like, and get someone to build them. The Kinlin XC279 are highly praised as well. Pairing them with WI or Dura Ace hubs would be a very good wheelset.

I have the Flo30 rims, there's a topic about them for more info

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=128255&p=1155386&hilit=flo30#p1155386

I'm not overly satisfied with mine.

The DT R460 rims are a good value bet as well.