winter wheel advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

One thing I've learned from mechanics is not to hose off your bike. This only applies to road bikes not filthy cyclocross and MTB. Use wet rags to wipe off dirt and road grime. BB bearings, headset bearing and wheels hubs exhibit premature wear, due to water ingress. Bottom line, sealed wheel hubs can last a long time, even in foul weather.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

mattr

by mattr

bm0p700f wrote:your all wrong.
LOL. No, we have different requirements and different experiences to you.

I'd not use cartridge bearings on a hub on a winter wheel (i'd avoid it on a summer wheel too TBH). That is one of my requirements.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

mpulsiv wrote:One thing I've learned from mechanics is not to hose off your bike. This only applies to road bikes not filthy cyclocross and MTB. Use wet rags to wipe off dirt and road grime. BB bearings, headset bearing and wheels hubs exhibit premature wear, due to water ingress. Bottom line, sealed wheel hubs can last a long time, even in foul weather.

LOL - you've learned that from mechanics?

It's well known and has been for many years, and of course is intuitively obvious too

I say "LOL" because mechanics practice it more than anyone else it seems
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Multebear

by Multebear

I always clean my bike with pistol grip nozzle on the garden hose. And I've done so for many years. I don't spray directly on hubs and BB. The only problem I've had, is the headset bearings, that needed regreasing once. And I'm not even sure, it was caused by high pressure cleaning so much as general wear. If this ruins my bearings in general, then so be it. They can be replaced. But I haven't had any problems with bearing life yet. That said, I don't ride WW parts with low or poor sealings.

Not sure the rule aplies so much any more, where design in general has more focus on durability as well.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

F45 wrote:There is also a tool made where you can press out all the old grease inside the freehub and replace with new grease without disassembling it.

Is this the one you mean? http://morningstartools.com/Pages/FreehubBuddy.aspx

Those things are pretty sweet, although with some hubs you want to make sure you have a spare dust cover as the metal ones can get bent when extracting them to clear the way for the tool and lube injection. Not a big deal as it should just be a $1 part, but they aren't something that people have commonly laying around.

Multebear

by Multebear

JamesGRC wrote:That sounds good, liking the idea of aksiums too tho. Loads of people ride them and say they're bombproof and I like the simplicity of the cartridge bearing

Mavic A119 rims on Miche Primato Syntesi hubs. This wheelset is around 140 GBP. As mentioned I've done 7.500 km on them. And they don't really show any wear except bitemarks on the free hub body. Bombproof wheelset. And if the rims get worn, I'll replace them and it'll be around 32 GBP.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

F45 if you get 10,000+ miles in all weather from the rear hub bearings in a miche hub (some may get more) then I would say the sealing is good enough but it is not the sealing really as the selaing mainly some from the seals that are part of the bearing. It is the size of the bearings that makes them reliable plus the steel axle on the back.

Mattr Yes my needs maybe different, to do all my miles with no intervention until the hub gets rough then I expect to be able to restore it to as new condition quickly and cheaply. Shimano hubs dont fall into that catgory, they have to be serviced before they get rough. I do use them but DA or XTR which are not cheap. I do ride on Campagnolo Chorus and record hubs as well as they can at least have the bearing cups changed but the full service for these are £40 per wheel + freehub so not exactly cheap.

Most of my miles are done on Novatec disc brake hubs or Miche Primato's. I have a set of royce hubs which I like alot but the bearing life does not seem to be any better than the Miche hubs.

The OP btw want to spend as little as possible he is looking at second hand wheels

JamesGRC

by JamesGRC

Multebear wrote:
JamesGRC wrote:That sounds good, liking the idea of aksiums too tho. Loads of people ride them and say they're bombproof and I like the simplicity of the cartridge bearing

Mavic A119 rims on Miche Primato Syntesi hubs. This wheelset is around 140 GBP. As mentioned I've done 7.500 km on them. And they don't really show any wear except bitemarks on the free hub body. Bombproof wheelset. And if the rims get worn, I'll replace them and it'll be around 32 GBP.

They sound good. Like bm0p700f said I don't want to spend too much do might try and find the hubs second hand

naambezet

by naambezet

Campagnolo Khamsin

sussexhills

by sussexhills

For me the most important thing for a UK winter training wheel has to be a wide rim. This allows lower pressure to be run in the tyre and all the rubbish uk road surfaces in the winter to be felt smoother and not leave you rattled to bits.

As an earlier poster said, Hed Belgium rims on Chris King hubs would be a money no object winter wheel, a club mate has these. However for your budget of £100 I would go for latest generation Fulcrum Racing 7 LG. You should also go for the 'CX' model as they have better bearing seals. You can pick them up on Chain Reaction right now for £120, if you have a British Cycling membership or know someone who does you can get a 10% off code so £108.

You're welcome.