Whats the catch with American classic?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gehenna

by Gehenna

So i've been looking for a while at components to build up a cheap set of alu wheels that are still pretty light and in finding American Classics both low weight and more than reasonable cost, it took a lot to stop myself from watering up. Something has to be up with them, so what is it? Are they poor quality? Are they flexy? They have to have some issue, so what is? I'm looking at under $750 for a sub 1300g build with their rims and hubs with sapim spokes and nipples. Comparable carbon wheels are either heavier or much more expensive (usually both) and similar alu options are few and far between.

Am i just paranoid? Or is there some known problem with them?

stoney

by stoney

I can't speak for their road wheels but their aluminum MTB wheels are top quality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

The graphics

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Typically the cost is higher and availability is limited. Their hubs have been known to chew up bearings due to their small size, but I've been riding stan's with ac hubs for years with no issues (I weigh 135 pounds though).
But yeah, they have some of the lightest hubs and alloy rims out there, which makes for some of the lightest stock clinchers.

Gehenna

by Gehenna

I agree their older graphics are pretty hideous, but their newer hubs and rims don't look too bad.

Thats a shame about their hubs :/ I knew there was a drawback. I'm only 140 though (lighter once i start running again) so my weight shouldn't be a problem

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Unless they have changed there rear hub recently the geometry of is it the worst out there. 46mm flange to flange distance (c-c) which is awful. A customer of mine brought his 32h dt wiss rr585 rim laced to this hub with dt swiss comp for truing. The dam thing was very flexible. He is a light chap as well, 16 at the time.

Gehenna

by Gehenna

I guess Bitex works. They are cheaper, but the front hub means it's not gonna be sub-1300 :(

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I never had issues (bearings or otherwise) with the older AC 420 clinchers that I owned for several seasons. Granted I am under 125 lb and never rode them in the rain, but otherwise they were my daily wheelset. Great value especially considering the weight. I personally would not hesitate to buy another AC wheelset.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

What else have you considered next to American classic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Gehenna

by Gehenna

mpulsiv wrote:What else have you considered next to American classic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hub wise, Bitex and Extralite (obviously the ones with aesthetic issues, i can't afford to look good). Rim wise, i would have no clue. But it doesn't look like a have to worry since the hubs are all i've been warned on.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If you are looking at bitex hubs these are decent and light and you can lace to DT Swiss RR411 rims or Stans alpha 340's. Ryde Pulse sprint are another light option. Kinlin do the XR22t but is 450g each but a light 1400g wheelset can still be built with them and the bitex hubs.

jpanspac

by jpanspac

I've used a set of Sprint 350s for years with not a single problem.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

American Classic do sell rims as well, if you are just trying to avoid their hubs, and so they may be worth a look if you are inclined toward their stuff. The only catch is that they are often slightly different profiles from their complete wheels, and they don't seem to push the weight envelope quite as much as on the completes. I suspect that the extra weight would bring a greater level of robustness though, and they are still in line with most of the other models people have mentioned in terms of weight.