Anyone use Challenge Vulcano tubular tyres?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Came across these when I was searching for a new tyre to get, was wondering if anyone has tried these tyres before? I presume due to the 220tpi casing and butyl tube they'll have nothing on 'race day' tubulars, but do they at least do better in terms of road feel than conti sprinter/competition tubulars?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

I used to have them many years ago.
I remember that I liked them a lot. Relatively cheap but real open tubulars with a 220tpi casing that provided a really nice feel (michelin latex tubes). I also remember that 23mm were wider on my Fulcrum zero, closer to 24mm maybe even more.

Mackers

by Mackers

istigatrice is talking about the actual tubulars.

As for me, I tried them, but they're pretty crap, imho of course.
Cheaply made casing, very lumpy, especially so at the valve, harsh riding, grip not great to non existent in wet conditions.
Might as well ride Vittoria Rally tubulars, they're just as crap, but a bit cheaper.

I like the Sprinters better myself, especially in the wet.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Thanks Mackers, I had my hopes up because I thought the higher TPI casing might make for a nicer tyre, but it sounds like the actual rubber compound isn't anything impressive.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Mackers

by Mackers

I remembered another thing that bothered me about them, so I dug one up and took a picture.

Both my tyres were pinched near the valve on both sides. Hard to capture, but very easy to spot when you spin the wheel.
Width changed from 22.9mm to 20.8mm at the valve.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cymans

by cymans

Iv'e tried these Challenge tubulars too, and although they are fairly cheap i had to return them because the tread was coming unstuck from the canvas. This seems to be a common thing with Challenge as iv'e had it with other models to..Silk Criterium, paris roubaix.
I now stick with Vittoria Corsa cx and Veloflex tubs. Hope this helps.

Cyman.