Reynolds Assault SLG......any good?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alastairb

by alastairb

Experience of these?

Good / bad?

Can get a set for £1k...tempted but struggling to find informative reviews.

Many thanks.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I own the tubular version and while I don't have too many other wheels I can compare it I think it's a good and stiff all around wheelset. I'm not a fan of the braking especially in wet I think they perform horribly. You also want to make a note that reynolds' braking surface failed the tour magazine alpine stress test (they destroyed the rim during the test and that's concerning in the case of clinchers). BUT I didn't experience any overheating personally. I also wouldn't trust the clincher version on long descends, but I have terrible technique

I like the solid hubs and I really love how they ride with vittoria tubs.

Bluecoupe

by Bluecoupe

I have a clincher set they're stiff and are pretty good set of wheels. Where I live though it's relatively flat so I don't have long descends to worry about. Under normal conditions the braking is fine a bit of squealing but no complaints in the wet though they do take longer to stop.

alastairb

by alastairb

Thank you for this; do you feel you get an aero benefit from them?

Bluecoupe

by Bluecoupe

I find that they hold their speed pretty well and they get up to speed fairly quickly as well. I'm using 23mm Conti GP4000ii if that makes a difference. Not sure what other wheels you have had before and how deep they are but crosswinds makes the ride pretty interesting. I find that the Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SLC's handle crosswinds better though.

alastairb

by alastairb

Would you pay an extra £400 for the Mavics? Are they significantly better?

Bluecoupe

by Bluecoupe

The Mavics braking are much better I find in both dry and wet conditions. Is it worth that extra $ really depends on where you're riding and if long descents are normal for you then go for the Mavics but if you are riding relatively flat roads then the Reynolds are fine. Again I live where its relatively flat so I don't worry about overheating the wheels.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

alastairb wrote:do you feel you get an aero benefit from them?

This is really subjective and very hard to tell without a wind tunnel. I'm sure they will give you some aero benefits, but no idea how they perform against other brands. They are decent semi-aero wheels, well built, strong and with very good hubs.

On the contrary I did not find them bad in cross winds, but this is again a really personal thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alastairb

by alastairb

Thanks guys. Advice is much appreciated.