Shamal Ultra Clincher vs Bora One 35 Tubular

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

fogman wrote:Wow. This is the first I have heard of someone melting the brake surface of Boras. Did they drag their brakes excessively during an alpine descent when this happened?

I have been using the red Campagnolo brakes pads for two seasons with no problems. Plus you would void the warranty if you use other pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was suprised as well.. So i asked few guys and the all comfirm me. And yes, plenty of mounbtains around here. All local guys switched to Corima pads and they dont have problems anymore..

Btw, can someone comfirm the list im ordering that is ok for switch to tubulars? Any other suggestions?

Please suggest me if i need any valve extendor for Bora One 35 + Vittoria Corsa G+ tires combination and Bora One 35 / Continental Sprinter 22 tire combination

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

The bora 35s do not include valve extenders, the 50s do.
Depending on the tires you may use in the future, you might need some for removable valve cores like the continentals which come in 20mm.
And you dont need a trueing stand for glueing tires.
As for the pads, the campagnolo ones are fine, I've only heard of people using corima pads with the older braking surface types.

3Pio

by 3Pio

strobbekoen wrote:The bora 35s do not include valve extenders, the 50s do.
Depending on the tires you may use in the future, you might need some for removable valve cores like the continentals which come in 20mm.
And you dont need a trueing stand for glueing tires.
As for the pads, the campagnolo ones are fine, I've only heard of people using corima pads with the older braking surface types.

Thanks.. And yes.. All of this guys, used older Bora version (2013 model, or 2014 model, not the wide version).

I considered the trueing wheel stand thinking, that would be much easier that way for glueing. Do u suggest that no any benefits of stand for glueing?

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I've owned both the previous and current generation Boras and the braking surface of the new ones is a significant improvement. I have several pairs of 35s and 50s which between them have covered nearly 10K miles this year racing and training in all weathers and terrain without a single problem. Just fit the red pads and stop worrying. Besides, as previously mentioned if you use alternatives you may invalidate your warranty.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Mockenrue wrote:I've owned both the previous and current generation Boras and the braking surface of the new ones is a significant improvement. I have several pairs of 35s and 50s which between them have covered nearly 10K miles this year racing and training in all weathers and terrain without a single problem. Just fit the red pads and stop worrying. Besides, as previously mentioned if you use alternatives you may invalidate your warranty.

No worrying at all :) , thats why im in ordering process... Anyway, another suggestion please... Which one work better for fixing punctures with Vittoria Corsa G+... Tufo Extreme Sealent or Vittoria Pit Stop Spray?

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Since switching to Corsa G+ in March I've only had one puncture and that was with a clincher; no flats on the tubs yet (jinxed it now, ha ha...).

I have no experience with the Tufo so I couldn't comment on it, but I did have to use Pit Stop once on a ride to fix a punctured Corsa CX. It worked OK and the tub then held air until it wore out. I think it depends on how big the cut is though, as I've heard stories of it just spraying out of large penetrations in the tyre.

stanley

by stanley

I use bora one 35 tub with conti gator skin tyre they have a good puncture resistant and also cheap prize
And i use new shamall ultra with vitoria rubino pro graphen tyre and continental tubs
Just for information if you like to go far away ride
Sugest dont use vittoria for tubulars tyre
Because the tyre pressure only in 10 hrs wil lose about 10 psi
You must check it regularly
But they have good ride grip and comfort

3Pio

by 3Pio

stanley wrote:I use bora one 35 tub with conti gator skin tyre they have a good puncture resistant and also cheap prize
And i use new shamall ultra with vitoria rubino pro graphen tyre and continental tubs

I allready use Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm with Vittoria Latex tubes on my Shamal Clinchers, and they are loosing the pressure after a while, but for long rides i fix this pumping the tires a bit harder then regular. So i tried allready for rides like 7-8 hours and no problems this way. I guess Vittoria tubs would be the same

stanley

by stanley

3Pio wrote:
stanley wrote:I use bora one 35 tub with conti gator skin tyre they have a good puncture resistant and also cheap prize

I allready use Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm with Vittoria Latex tubes on my Shamal Clinchers, and they are loosing the pressure after a while, but for long rides i fix this pumping the tires a bit harder then regular. So i tried allready for rides like 7-8 hours and no problems this way. I guess Vittoria tubs would be the same

Yes that what s I mean for " long ride" if you go more than 10 hrs you must check your presure regularly
That little bit annoying if you go far for touring or commuting then you must pump your 120 + psi tubular with pocket pump [emoji16]

3Pio

by 3Pio

stanley wrote:
3Pio wrote:

Yes that what s I mean for " long ride" if you go more than 10 hrs you must check your presure regularly
That little bit annoying if you go far for touring or commuting then you must pump your 120 + psi tubular with pocket pump

For me that is very important, because i often ride Gran Fondos with about 150-200 km per ride, some of them in total foreign country and alone sometimes :)

stanley

by stanley

3Pio wrote:
stanley wrote:
3Pio wrote:

That little bit annoying if you go far for touring or commuting then you must pump your 120 + psi tubular with pocket pump

For me that is very important, because i often ride Gran Fondos with about 150-200 km per ride, some of them in total foreign country and alone sometimes :)

Yeah important for me too [emoji16]
I ve use vitoria tubulars and continental competition tubular
And. I feel gator skin is best for endurance and daily use
Gator skin have bigger rolling resistance but have better puncture resistant

sawyer

by sawyer

Your proposed set-up sounds good.

Only part I'd disagree with is Conti Sprinter as spare.

It's a tank. Fine as a spare at home. But too heavy and bulky for carrying on the bike

One piece of advice is if the Sprinter is your on the bike spare, make sure you stretch it on a rim for a few days beforehand to make mounting much easier on the road.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

3Pio

by 3Pio

sawyer wrote:Your proposed set-up sounds good.

It's a tank. Fine as a spare at home. But too heavy and bulky for carrying on the bike

One piece of advice is if the Sprinter is your on the bike spare, make sure you stretch it on a rim for a few days beforehand to make mounting much easier on the road.

I choose Sprinter as lightest versiom from option i have. Vittoria Rally 22 is 310 gm, Conti Sprinter in 22 260 gm.

Another option i can see i Vittoria Corsa Elite which in 23 is 270gm, and in 21 is 265 gm (but im afraid that 21 is too narrow and big chance of damaging the rim).

What do u suggest for a spare tubular?

sawyer

by sawyer

3Pio wrote:
sawyer wrote:Your proposed set-up sounds good.

I choose Sprinter as lightest versiom from option i have. Vittoria Rally 22 is 310 gm, Conti Sprinter in 22 260 gm.

Another option i can see i Vittoria Corsa Elite which in 23 is 270gm, and in 21 is 265 gm (but im afraid that 21 is too narrow and big chance of damaging the rim).

What do u suggest for a spare tubular?

Assuming you mean spare for carrying on rides, then I would go WW. Vittoria Crono in either 22mm
or 24mm - are in the 170g range

Weight aside, the main benefit actually is that they are easily folded and compact pretty small. Lots of people here use Tufos which compact very small also

Sprinter is a great everyday training tub for the money but not something I'd want to heave around
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

3Pio

by 3Pio

Seem that Vittoria Crono is discountinued model, as i cant find out on most online shops im ussually buying.

Also im considering Tufo Elite, but as track tire, how reliable it should be in the case of emergancy? If fact that is track version mean very easy for puncture, then maybe it's not that reliable for outdoor riding (considering just for coming home, but often that mean 100 km or more away :) )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com