Shamal Ultra Clincher vs Bora One 35 Tubular

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

dj97223 wrote:Has your issue been resolved?

After some e-mails with bike-components.de, in the process of resolving (and really hope without other new issues). They ordered a new pair which they hope it will arrive next week(they said that dont have exact date but they presume for end of next week), and after that they will send them to me. Also they confirmed that it will be serial matched and not refurbished, so i really hope that this will be resolved, and no other problems will happen.

Still since i really need this wheelset in max 30 days (there will be few rides for me on which i definitely will like to ride this wheels), and i really hope i'll have them by then. Specially that i order them on 20th of December just to be sure that i'll have them for this rides)

Glad that u somehow help me in decision to return this pair for new one. If keep this one, i realized i wont be happy as having normal non-refurbished and brand new pair :)

In any case, i'll update u with my final experience.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

BTW, im also in oreding process of spare tubular tire.

Which one is the correct one for the Bora Wheelset (i hope i'll get)?

Tufo Elite 160 tubular 22 mm black (seem thart is for track inside use but it's 22mm, better suitied for width of Bora wheels), or

Tufo Elite Jet <160g 28x20mm Tubular Tire black (seem that have some protection for road use, but worried because it's only 20mm)

So which one of this two?

GJMadone069

by GJMadone069

As spare I always take an old used tubular with me, just change them without gluing and glue a new one properly at home.

3Pio

by 3Pio

GJMadone069 wrote:As spare I always take an old used tubular with me, just change them without gluing and glue a new one properly at home.

That's would be the best solution.. But the problem is im just entering in tubular world, so i dont have any used tires, and that's why i need to buy one as spare.

So i want to pick from that Tufo to dont buy full size and heavy regular 25mm tubular. Of course if that's a good solution just as spare.

GJMadone069

by GJMadone069

3Pio wrote:
GJMadone069 wrote:As spare I always take an old used tubular with me, just change them without gluing and glue a new one properly at home.

That's would be the best solution.. But the problem is im just entering in tubular world, so i dont have any used tires, and that's why i need to buy one as spare.

So i want to pick from that Tufo to dont buy full size and heavy regular 25mm tubular. Of course if that's a good solution just as spare.

If you use a new one as spare I would make sure they are already stretched well.
otherwise it could be hard to put it on a rim

3Pio

by 3Pio

GJMadone069 wrote:
3Pio wrote:

If you use a new one as spare I would make sure they are already stretched well.
otherwise it could be hard to put it on a rim

So if i buy one of this two, which one u think will be better for my Bora One wheels? I'll first strecth them for few days to be sure that it will easy fit on rims in case of emergency

Tufo Elite 160 tubular 22 mm black (seem that is for track use inside, but it's 22mm, better suitied for width of Bora wheels), or

Tufo Elite Jet <160g 28x20mm Tubular Tire black (seem that have some protection for road use, but worried because it's only 20mm) ?

3Pio

by 3Pio

Ok, i finnaly glued tires and started to use them on 10.03.2017, One Month ago, and let me share my experience with them.

For last Month i allready have 940 km on them, and climbed 16000 meters (and going down of course :) ).

Last week i had 207 km ride on them (1750 meters climbing), yesterday 123 km ride (1250 meters of climbing) and very strong wind, so had a chance to try them with some long rides as well.

- Stifness: Stiffer then Shamals, sometimes a bit harsh, but nothing to complain. Finally i beat some of my personal records (UpHill which i ride often), but not by big margin. Im not sure if i beat those records because of better Stifness, because they are lighter or im just in better shape :)

- SideWind - Yeasterday ride with a lot of sidewind and strong. I can feel that Shamals was a bit less prone to SideWind, but also not that big difference here.

- FLat parts, keeping speed - Here Bora feel faster then Shamals, and probably biggest advantage i can feel

- Comfort - Shamals with Latex tubes more comfortable. Not by big margin, but take this in consideration

Just to mention that two days ago, i noticed play in rear hub, so i adjust that (no more play).

And yesterday i noticed air leaking from the rear tire. I replaced the valve this morning, so first to find out where is the problem (valve or tire puncture), then i'll remedy this. If it's valve i'll put some plumber tape on the valve, if it's tire Tufo Extreme very small amount (seem it's small puncture, very slow leaking).

3Pio

by 3Pio

Ok, i must update this.

After i changed the handlebar of the bike (went from Zipp Service Course SL-80 to Easton EC90SLX3), the whole front end of the bike become much stiffer and with better control. I had a ride with strong side wind, and could not believe that it wont affected me at all.

Also on climbing effort now i can feel stiffer reaction of the front end, and somehow i can feel how stiff and precised are the wheels.

Seem that all trouble i had with sidewind was not wheel based, but handlebar based. And i can say that Bora One 35 are amazing wheels

robertbb

by robertbb

strobbekoen wrote:I have the Shamal Ultra, Bora 35 clincher, Bora 50 tubular, and also Bullet Ultra 50 and Eurus which came with my Canyon.
For alloy rims, the Eurus come first for me, they feel stiffer than the Shamals and the Bullets are kinda meh.
I guess we can all state the obvious facts. Performance gain, for must of us here, very little or hardly noticeable. I ride the 35s most because they feel nice and while I am quite proficient with tubs, they still are more work and less convenient than clinchers for daily use. In the end, you just need to try to find out for yourself, based on where you ride and how you ride and brake if riding in the mountains. If my usual rides were in the mountains, I'd pick a set of Eurus and 35 tubs as my wheels.

I know this is old, but, are you talking about the older steel-spoked Eurus or the newer zicral alloy-spoked Eurus?

I have a set of Bora Ultra 35 Tubs with Vittoria G+, which are my A-wheels.
I have a set of Shamal Ultra C17's which I've been training on.
I just bought and am waiting on delivery of Zonda C17's as my main training set. Same rim as the Shamals, but steel spokes and alloy hubs. I'm wondering if the Zondas will be good enough that I can consider selling the Shamals.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I really wish I still had the old steel-spoked Eurus.. I've had like 3 or 4 sets of those over the years. They went on bikes I put together for other people.
Should have kept 2 sets! Those were awesome wheels. Those and my Time VXR Proteam are the 2 things I ever regretted selling!
So I meant the new generation of Eurus, still decent wheels.
The Zondas are a great set of wheels for the money.

sawyer

by sawyer

Yes, the steel spoked Eurus Carbons remain the best alu rimmed wheel Campagnolo has ever made

Stiff, comfortable, and reasonably aero

To my mind the Zondas are the next best, providing a better ride and slightly more aero than the Shamals, which do feel a bit snappier when climbing, so there's definitely something in their favour.

@robertbb, I had Gen 1 (gold) Shamal Ultras and loved them, but sold them after buying Zondas as they are so close it's not worth having both unless you need to cover two bikes in different locations or whatever
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

a20dth

by a20dth

I would like to say a detail. In Zondal wheelset you can upgrade the bearings to CULT bearings. In Europe these set wheels cost 350€ +/- and the CULT bearings 200€ +/- with all is more cheaper and aerodinamic than Shamal (850€) and more strong contruccion.

sawyer

by sawyer

a20dth wrote:I would like to say a detail. In Zondal wheelset you can upgrade the bearings to CULT bearings. In Europe these set wheels cost 350€ +/- and the CULT bearings 200€ +/- with all is more cheaper and aerodinamic than Shamal (850€) and more strong contruccion.

Seriously, the CULT upgrade is not money well spent. It will make so little or no difference. If the excellent stock bearings go, then fair enough.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: