* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:49 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:42 pm 

Multebear wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:

When I ran latex tubes on aluminum clincher rims I had several spontaneous blowouts (holes several inches long) with no apparent cause. Heat wasn't an issue. I know people on this forum point all latex issues to the user. I know I installed the tubes correctly so I can rule user error out. Using the same installation method on butyl I never had the same issue. So I've stopped using latex tubes. Bottom lines is latex tubes don't work well when the surface surrounding the tube is irregular. Tubular tires are uniform and hence latex tube is safe in tubular tires.

Trust me, issues ARE user related. I had the same problem with spontaneous blowouts - sometimes even in the middle of the night while sleeping, several times the holes were several inches long as well. That was until a friend showed me how to install them proporly. And no, I've never had the same issues with butyl tubes. After the instructions from my friend, I've never had any issues at all whatsoever with latex tubes. Both my two latex clincher wheelsets and my three alloy clincher wheelsets are doing great with latex tubes now.

And just to make it clear, you don't use the same installation method as with butyl tubes. If you do that, you're likely to have blowouts. Butyl tubes will handle much more abuse and negligence, latex tubes wont. It's hard for me to explain the correct way in english, since english isn't my native language.

Well, I'm happy that you have experienced no issues. For me personally I just cannot take the risk. I'm using Conti Supersonics anyways so I should get 1/2 the rolling resistance of regular 100g. tubes.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:42 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:58 pm 

Except for my one blowout incident (and it very well might have been the tube caught around the bead, or a sidewall puncture resulting in the explosion), I've had great luck with latex tubes in my alloy clinchers.

Now for carbon clinchers this may not be true, especially on warmer days or days with downhills and a lot of braking.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:17 pm 

Multebear wrote:
sawyer wrote:

Hi - I suspect if you could do sufficiently high resolution testing you'd find it would matter ... with an aero bar cleaner air hitting the rider faster and therefore creating more drag on the rider, but less on the bars ...

That's a hypothesis anyway ... more testing needed

True, it is a hypothesis, and I'm pretty sure it's wrong :wink:

But let's see, if someone will be able to clear it out with hard numbers. No need to discuss it further without hard evidence.

Just the same old Tour data posted shortly after your post, which was exactly the data I anticipated being posted in my first post on this thread. LOL - WW is nothing if not predictable.

I'd like to see more testing of aero bars.

Intuitively there should be some benefit yes, but the fact that with an aero bar "cleaner / faster flowing undisturbed" air then a fraction of a second later hits the rider gives reasonable cause to believe the benefits are more limited than (say) a deep section wheel vs a box section ...

NB - this is absolutely distinct from a narrower or lower hand position ... the issue is the quantum of benefit from aero profiled top sections

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:32 pm 

Speaking of aero equipment, I was pleasantly surprised at my Bontrager Ballista. Not how aero it is since I cannot *feel* an advantage but how quiet it is compared to my old lightweight helmet. Wind tunnel data suggests it's faster. But the quietness is an added bonus. Keep in mind that the head is a big body part sticking up in the air flow, LOL. So an aero helmet is a cheap way to buy you some aero advantage. Although the Ballista isn't exactly cheap it's the cheapest aero helmet out there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:06 pm 

http://road.cc/content/review/196916-bbb-tithon

This one is probably cheaper. I have one, it's a decent helmet. Here's an action shot:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:30 pm 

Marin wrote:
Surprisingly large savings from the aero bars, but I tend to believe Tour here. Last sentence is the killer though!

So based on the chart and the error bars, the aero handlebar *may or may not* be faster than the non aero bar in the same width. I DO believe that it is faster, but this test tells nothing about how much it's faster.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:51 pm 
in the industry

if the helmet is quieter it is faster. Noise indicates turbulance and the break up of laminar flow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:51 am 

+1 for the Ballista. It's one of the few helmets that fit me well (S-Works Prevail is the other) and I've been very happy with mine.

Only time it gets noisy is when you're going 40kph with a side wind. High wind speed at a significant angle can catch the front vent then but it's a pretty specific problem.