Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:59 am 

With Mavic's recent price hike, (in the UK at least) the new Carbon Pro Carbon SL has come in line with the Roval CLX 32 and some online deals for the older 303 firecrest.

The supposed superior braking surface of the MAVIC was what first drew me to them but I am struggling to find any real aero data.

The ROVAL 'win tunnel' approved design may be aero and I like the idea of ceramic bearings... but braking surface is an unknown.

The venerable 303 is reported to be good in side winds something I have a concern with being a lighter rider, the NSW version is however out of my price range, is the rim width an issue with Focus frames?

I was wondering if anybody had any real world advice on what would best for a lightweight rider. These would have to act as an everyday carbon rim to be used on country roads with infrequent trips to the alps.

Cheers

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:59 am 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:01 am 

Also curious about the 32s

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:51 pm 

Me too - little seems to be written about them. They're appealing on a weight / width (internal and external) front with well spec'd hubs and proprietary data suggesting better aero than old 40s, but then every manufacturer claims increases in their own data!

I'm more interested in real-world feedback on ride and braking between these three, particularly given all the very positive press reviews the Mavics have received. Anyone any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:54 am 

My guess would be that the difference in aero performance between these wheels would not be very significant. Better to make a decision based on other factors. What I can contribute is that I am absolutely thrilled with my Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL. While it's not the cosmic, everything else is the same. Braking is all you could ever expect from a carbon rim, and the hubs are excellent. The wheels feel incredibly fast and comfortable. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:01 am 

The Mavic are the narrowest so unless you want to run THEIR 25s, you're stuck with 23s to get their claimed max aero. They never release test data and I haven't seen them in independent tests. My Rovals braked fairly well, but from what I've gathered the Mavics are the best by a decent margin at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:40 pm 

Mr.Gib wrote:
My guess would be that the difference in aero performance between these wheels would not be very significant. Better to make a decision based on other factors. What I can contribute is that I am absolutely thrilled with my Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL. While it's not the cosmic, everything else is the same. Braking is all you could ever expect from a carbon rim, and the hubs are excellent. The wheels feel incredibly fast and comfortable. Highly recommended.

Exactly that. I wouldn't expect there to be any reliable 3rd party aero data until whenever Tour magazine decides to do their next group test, but really how much difference do you think there's going to be as a proprtion of total rider, bike and wheel drag? Miniscule.

The difference in braking though - Mavics are genuinely fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:58 pm 

Tour Magazin test results placed the Mavics at 4 watts behind Zipp 404 Firecrests but said they were stiffer

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:36 pm 

I've been running the Mavics for 3 months now and they are bloody good. Stiff, quick, solid in crosswinds and the braking is exceptional wet and dry.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:26 am 

I haven't really been impressed with the braking on the CLX32s but it's fine (at least in the dry). They are great in every other way though, stiff, strong, wide, not a bother in the wind.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:33 am 

What prices are you seeing for these wheels? Zipps are really nicely priced at the moment. Discounts everywhere. Can get the latest 404's for £539 + £649 (for black, cheaper if you want white decals). 303's should be the same. Was in same boat as you this weekend, trying to settle down on a wheel choice. Aeroweenies has loads of wheel data:

http://www.aeroweenie.com/data.html

In the end I gave up on the performance data and went for best value (well, high end best value).

Would have loved the HED 6 blacks (black alu rim). Supposedly super fast. But hard to get in the UK, have to order direct I think from HED. £1600 :(

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:07 am 

Paid £1224 yesterday from Tredz for the Mavics. Included a 15% May Day discount

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:04 pm 

Shrike wrote:
What prices are you seeing for these wheels? Zipps are really nicely priced at the moment. Discounts everywhere. Can get the latest 404's for £539 + £649 (for black, cheaper if you want white decals). 303's should be the same. Was in same boat as you this weekend, trying to settle down on a wheel choice. Aeroweenies has loads of wheel data:

In the end I gave up on the performance data and went for best value (well, high end best value).

Would have loved the HED 6 blacks (black alu rim). Supposedly super fast. But hard to get in the UK, have to order direct I think from HED. £1600 :(

Where are you getting zipp'S for that price?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:24 pm 

scottmmw wrote:
Shrike wrote:

Tredz for the rear, and Probikekit for the front. Have to use the codes though, 15% and 10% respectively. Tredz code ended early this morning, but they regularly do a £125 off £750 code if you're up for waiting. PBK codes are in your email, have to click through to activate, but you get a few weekly :P

Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:24 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:44 pm 

Shrike wrote:
scottmmw wrote:
Shrike wrote:

Tredz for the rear, and Probikekit for the front. Have to use the codes though, 15% and 10% respectively. Tredz code ended early this morning, but they regularly do a £125 off £750 code if you're up for waiting. PBK codes are in your email, have to click through to activate, but you get a few weekly :P

Ah, thought you meant for the 404 NSW's rather than firecrest.