Build recommendations for Powertap GS (and Stan's Alpha 400)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

I just finished a Powertap GS build. The NDS tension is very low, so I would recommend go with big spokes and stiff rim at your weight.
Kinlin XR31T is a very good suggestion IMO.

NOTE: I had to cut 2mm off my spokes based on the Powertap chart. And I heard it happened to a few other builders too.
Make shure you get the lenght right.

Louis :)

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Who likes / dislikes the idea of Sapim Laser spokes laced to a GS straight pull hub and Reynolds Attack clincher rim? Are they too dainty?

I think an Aero spoke will be more fiddly for truing, so I'm looking at round spokes. Am I mistaken?

I'm 73-74kgs. My Reynolds Attacks use straight pull spokes front and rear, as built by the factory.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

You'd have a MUCH easier time with bladed spokes. I just flat out refuse to build straight pull hubs with round spokes. Get bladed spokes and a spoke holder and you're way better off. Keeping straight pull round spokes from spinning is a be-yotch, and then compound that with the windup you get with Lasers. Just do blades.

kervelo

by kervelo

ergott wrote:I wouldn't do that build. The hub doesn't build up to a very stiff wheel...

You wrote that the hub does not build up to a very stiff wheel: is this just the Powertap GS rear hub or is it common for all DT Swiss straight pull hubs? I am asking because I have been planning another wheel build, using DT Swiss hubs.

ergott

by ergott

The DT Swiss rear straight pull hubs also have poor geometry. The fronts are okay and I've used them. I flat out refuse to use the straight pull rears, especially when their flanged counterparts are better (albeit not ideal).

icenutter

by icenutter

My new wheel arrived and I've been for my first ride! In the end I went for a Kinlin XR31t, 24h offset with Sapim CX-rays. Very happy. I got it made by DCR wheels in the UK, who I can recommend too.

958g with 10 speed spacer, stans tape, and without skewer (sorry about the crap photo).

Thanks everyone for the help.

JeffChen

by JeffChen

To Powertap GS hub,any heavy rims is the stone of Sisyphus, you need both eccentric rims and heavy spokes,the best choice is carbon eccentric rims.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

ergott wrote:The DT Swiss rear straight pull hubs also have poor geometry. The fronts are okay and I've used them. I flat out refuse to use the straight pull rears, especially when their flanged counterparts are better (albeit not ideal).

Good insight there. I agree, except that the front straight-pull flanges on the disc variant are less than ideal, being too close together (i.e. short center-to-flange measurements).

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

LouisN wrote:I just finished a Powertap GS build. The NDS tension is very low, so I would recommend go with big spokes and stiff rim at your weight.

NOTE: I had to cut 2mm off my spokes based on the Powertap chart. And I heard it happened to a few other builders too.

Powertap says the spoke lengths should be the same for both sides of this hub. Were they?

kervelo

by kervelo

I did not have any issues with the spoke lengths. I used the same length both on DS and NDS and the length was calculated using the formula from the spoke length chart. I used Sapim CX Ray spokes.

LouisN

by LouisN

UpFromOne wrote:
LouisN wrote:I just finished a Powertap GS build. The NDS tension is very low, so I would recommend go with big spokes and stiff rim at your weight.

Powertap says the spoke lengths should be the same for both sides of this hub. Were they?

Yes, they were.

I had to cut all of them.