Build recommendations for Powertap GS (and Stan's Alpha 400)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

icenutter

by icenutter

I've a Powertap GS coming soon (Shimano 24H Straight Pull) so I'll need to get it made up into a wheel. This wheel is destined for use on my training/winter/commuting bike so I'll trade a little weight for some more longevity. The front rim is already a Stan's Alpha 400 (with a Hope Mono Hub), so I have a strong preference for using the same rim. I'll listen to other suggestions for tubeless ready rims though.

So: what spokes and pattern do you recommend? I fancy aero spokes out of the principal of marginal gains. I'm thinking brass nipples?

One more thing; in the user guide it says 'Contact a wheel building professional or dealer for assistance in building the PowerTap GS hub into a wheel. Due to the design of the hub, the load pattern is not the same as with a conventional hub'. But I can't seem to determine what this actually means? Is there some dealer-only document that says what lacing patterns are acceptable. This spoke length calculator implies that 2x is OK:
https://www.powertap.com/Uploads/Powertap/2015/6/2015%20PowerTap%20GS%2024%20Hole%20Hub%20Chart.pdf

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

The GS hub is 2x both sides. I built my wheel with CX Ray.

ergott

by ergott

How much do you weigh? Do you have an idea of what kind of power numbers you put out yet?

icenutter

by icenutter

80kg. I'm one of those kind guys who is light on equipment, I never get punctures or break anything. According to Zwift my FTP is 252W.

icenutter

by icenutter

Peak power will be low. Let's guess 600w.

ergott

by ergott

I wouldn't do that build. The hub doesn't build up to a very stiff wheel and the rim is very light and not stiff either. Combined I'd consider that combination for very light riders. At the very least, use DT Competition straight pull spokes.

Your results may vary. If you go ahead with the build I hope it all works out. Please report back either way!

icenutter

by icenutter

Can you suggest another rim that might be more suitable? I'd like one that will go tubeless easily, but apart from that I'm reasonably flexible.

ergott

by ergott

I would consider the Hed Belgium Plus or Kinlin XR31T. Both are on the heavier side. The Kinlin is not only less expensive it will look like a closer match.

Still use DT Competitions for good measure.

icenutter

by icenutter

How can I get a Kinlin XR31T in the UK? I went to my local bike shop (who I otherwise respect) and got blank looks. Is there a distributor? I'd rather let them buy the rim so they get the markup. I already feel cheeky bringing them a new hub to build a wheel.

Mackers

by Mackers

Ebay user good886 has been reliable as well as affordable for years now. He can also get his hands on related stuff that's not listed in his shop, just gotta ask :)

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

icenutter wrote:I've a Powertap GS coming soon (Shimano 24H Straight Pull) so I'll need to get it made up into a wheel...

I'm in the same boat and watching your thread intently. Good comments so far.

Once you settle on your build plan, I'll jump in or start my own thread.

icenutter

by icenutter

Looks like I'm going to go with a Kinlin XR31T. But one wheel builder I contacted wanted to use Sapim CX-rays (as the hubs are straight pull).

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

That's a challenging build and finding straight pull spokes in the UK is a pain. I'm with Ergott, avoid Stans rims. Have a look at a DT Swiss RR511 rim as well. This is not a job for your LBS in my opinion. They will struggle to sort that one out.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

petromyzon

by petromyzon

What about the new Pacenti Forza offset and DT comp straight pulls? Stiffer rim, stiffer spokes, better balance. (NB obviously I've not clapped eyes on a Forza yet but it looks great on paper).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

I think a good option is to build the wheel using the DT Swiss aero comp spokes instead of the DT Swiss competition. The aero comps are heavier/stiffer than CX Rays, but still aero. You can get aero comps in straight pull also and the price is much lower than the price of CX Ray.