Madfiber Wheels still going strong or not?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Clannagh

by Clannagh

I thought i'd start a new thread on this just to see if anyone has any previous experience with an issue that seems to crop up with these wheels.
Many people have probably heard of the delimitation problems with the clincher version, however there also seems to be a common fault with the rear wheel bearing wobble, its quite easy to feel if you push the wheel from side to side. Quick go check yours!!
Yep thats what mine is doing :roll:
Once stripped down its easy to see a very slight score mark on the axle where it contacts the inner bearing. The only explanation I can think of is that the alloy axle is being worn away by the steel bearing inner casing. Not by spinning around but by twist within the axle itself or perhaps carbon hub. My own feeling is that that the axle is not strong enough to avoid flex when under load. Perhaps it should be made from something tougher than alloy, chrome Molley perhaps as Madfibers MK1 axles were.

Question is what to do about it? Has anyone managed to solve the issue by replacing the axle with one from another manufacture maybe? or has anyone had a replacement made up?
Easy option would be to call Madfiber and have them send one out under warranty but thats not ever going to happen is it :lol:

How many others have the same problem I wonder?

These last two pictures show what the issue is, more evident in the final photo. Its the scoring on the raised central section. Its not actually scored more indented.
Im going to change the bearings as a matter of course although whats fitted at present feels quite smooth with no lateral movement.

Last edited by Clannagh on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

No personal experience, but Google told me that these had an adjusting ring for bearing play made by White industries. I'd be pretty sure that MF did not manufacture the hub internals. Perhaps pull it apart and post pictures of the bits and someone can identify.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Ah yes that'll be the mk1 version with the White Ind hubs. They had an adjuster grubbscrew I think. Mine are the later 'improved' model. I'll post some component pics later this evening.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Clannagh wrote:Ah yes that'll be the mk1 version with the White Ind hubs. They had an adjuster grubbscrew I think. Mine are the later 'improved' model. I'll post some component pics later this evening.

Well, you posted pics of the Mk 1 wheels. Way to go. :roll:
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Clannagh

by Clannagh

bikerjulio wrote:
Clannagh wrote:Ah yes that'll be the mk1 version with the White Ind hubs. They had an adjuster grubbscrew I think. Mine are the later 'improved' model. I'll post some component pics later this evening.

Well, you posted pics of the Mk 1 wheels. Way to go. :roll:

More wheel shots added.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I had a set of the first gen (rear wheel spokes not bonded where they crossed) that had that issue, they were replaced under warranty before MF went under. Currently using the middle gen version (rear wheel spokes are bonded where they cross), It was my understanding that by the time the last gen came out they were no longer using White Industries hub parts due to this problem. The pic you posted is of the last gen wheels.

kavitator

by kavitator

freehub looks like Novatec or Chosen ?

Clannagh

by Clannagh

mvacolnago wrote:I had a set of the first gen (rear wheel spokes not bonded where they crossed) that had that issue, they were replaced under warranty before MF went under. Currently using the middle gen version (rear wheel spokes are bonded where they cross), It was my understanding that by the time the last gen came out they were no longer using White Industries hub parts due to this problem. The pic you posted is of the last gen wheels.

Nice ride!
Mine must be the middle gen version with the bonded spokes, I didn't realise there was an additional final design ditch a different spoke pattern. No chance of a warranty claim now though!
As mentioned I'll replace the bearings to eliminate any issues in that area. If there's no improvement I'll probably have to get a new axle machined. It's a fairly straightforward job by the look of it. I've noticed inside mine that there's a steel sleeve midway round the area of this bearing point. Wonder if they had to stiffen them up! So option maybe to heat up and expand the axle and insert a replacement slightly bigger/thicker steel sleeve. Things you have todo :thumbup:

kavitator

by kavitator

make axle from steel and it will be stiff as hell :)

Clannagh

by Clannagh

kavitator wrote:make axle from steel and it will be stiff as hell :)

Chrome moly :thumbup:

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Rode Gen 1.5 with bonded rear spokes and WI hub internals.

Rear wheel delaiminated after a couple years. Sad day.

No issues with a wobble, but I had an ace shop.

Also recall they weren't side-wind friendly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com