Best alloy tubeless training wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

njyeti

by njyeti

I'm looking for a high end alloy training wheelset for the winter. We don't get much snow where I live- but I don't want to ride my Enve's in the salt nonetheless. I'm planning on logging heavy miles this offseason- so I don't want to compromise ride quality/weight too much- and do want the alloy brake track for the wet.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a higher end, tubeless alloy wheelset?

I've found the Fulcrum Racing Zero Competizione - http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels/ ... mpetizione

An other ideas?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JoeFlan

by JoeFlan

Stans Alpha 340 Pro or American Classic Sprint 350
Both claimed under 1400g and tubeless compatible
Current Steed
Supersix Evo 6.25kg
CAAD10 6.8kg
Giant TCR SLR 6.8kg
Past Lovers
Focus Izalco Pro
Cervelo S1

Lugan

by Lugan

I use two currently:

Hed Ardennes Black with machined and coated brake track is fantastic in all conditions. Stopping is disc-like.

Boyd Altamont 2016 version. Very solid and no-fuss wheels.

Multebear

by Multebear

njyeti wrote:
I'm planning on logging heavy miles this offseason- so I don't want to compromise ride quality/weight too much- and do want the alloy brake track for the wet.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a higher end, tubeless alloy wheelset?

Not sure what's meant by higher end alloy. There are many different alloy rims, but I don't regard some rims more higher end than others. There are numerous kinds though, in numerous shapes and weights and with numerous different pricetags, some justified some not so much.

Regarding tubeless, almost all rims available today can handle tubeless tires after installing a Stans tubeless kit.

First of all, if you want them to be milemunchers able to withstand the occasional rain, then you definitely don't want the lightest ones like Stans ZTR 340. Rain is the worst regarding wearing down the rims braketrack and thus the rims life. And since light rims will be light partly because of thinner braketrack, you need to find the right compromise between light and durable. I'd say something around 450-480 grams a rim. Several Kinlin rims come to mind, as well as my personal favorite wide, semiaero budget rim DT Swiss R460.

Boyd Altamont are a fine choice for performance alloy rims. They have a really good and aero U shape. They are 435 grams, but given the dimensions, 435 grams is not much, which makes me suspect, that the braketrack is thin as well. They are fairly new on the market though, so there aren't really any longterm reviews

You might take a look at Flo30 wheels. They have a very good aero shape, probably the most aero alloy rim on the market. They are a bit on the heavy side though, but that's due to the thicker braketrack.

Those Fulcrums you are mentioning, are probably fine wheels, Fulcrums always are. But what will happen, when the rims are worn, then you'll have to bin the whole wheelset, while the other ones mentioned, it's possible to swap the rim.

You might want to take a look at this review for more inspiration:

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... m-roundup/

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Lugan wrote:I use two currently:

Hed Ardennes Black with machined and coated brake track is fantastic in all conditions. Stopping is disc-like.

Boyd Altamont 2016 version. Very solid and no-fuss wheels.

Another vote for Boyd Altamont 2016. Fantastic wheels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Just looked at the boyd site $311 for a front wheel. Well that is quite expensive.

Try the Kinlin rims. I build with those as do others and the XR22T or the XR31T make the perfect do it all wheelset Lace them to a set of Miche Primato hubs (this is what I use) and enjoy bearings that last 10,000 miles. The best bit is it wont cost $600+ for a wheelset.

There are cheaper way to solve this problem.

njyeti

by njyeti

Hey all, first off thank you for the responses.

I've frankly never heard of Boyd before and will definitely check them out as well as the other recommendations.

Multebear- excellent point on the Fulcrum's and the rims. I hadn't considered that the rim couldn't be replaced- particularly important as it will wear faster in the winter.

Thanks again!

yinya

by yinya

I have the altamont lite's - excellent wheels, and survived cobbles with no issues.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

most wheels will survive cobbles. Only the badly built ones wont and that has nothing to do with the components but the company assembling them.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

bm0p700f wrote:most wheels will survive cobbles. Only the badly built ones wont and that has nothing to do with the components but the company assembling them.

In addition, low spokes and lacing pattern exhibit weak wheels.

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

gtinut

by gtinut

I just finished lacing Boyd Altamont lite 24/28 with Soul Kozak hubs = under 1500g
I was hoping for less but rims are on 435g but closer to 450g each.;
This will be my training wheelset

F45

by F45

Why don't you post the details and pics in the wheelbuilding thread that is tacked? I would like to read more about your build.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

mpulsiv really then how did my 24 spoke disc brake wheels survive PR and continue to survive many thousands of km of commuting, total rider and bike = 100kg. spoke count is only one factor that determines spoke life.

gtinut

by gtinut

I will post pictures soon. Waiting for friend to tension them correctly

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

bm0p700f wrote:mpulsiv really then how did my 24 spoke disc brake wheels survive PR and continue to survive many thousands of km of commuting, total rider and bike = 100kg. spoke count is only one factor that determines spoke life.

When I say "low spokes", I mean low spokes. 24 is far from it.