My wheel is heavy...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattr

by mattr

Multebear wrote:I'm always training with the same guys. And if I put on some heavier wheels, I need to push more, to stay on the wheel, which will be better training. But when I'm on the front, I'll probably just go slower.
Very valid point, with heavy wheels you have to work harder just to keep up, i prefer to have options so i use mid weight wheels and just do more work, longer pulls on the front, don't draft so religiously and so on.

In the grand scheme of things it probably makes more difference in your head than it actually does on the road.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

zalle wrote:What's your opinion on the Fulcrum Racing 1? I might be able to buy a bike with these fitted for a good price (and then sell it off with my old wheels...

They have a good decent weight at 1480 ish grams. And Fulcrums are known to be very good, solid wheels. But what will you do, when the rim is worn, and there's still +10k km's in the hubs? Doesn't seem like there are replacement rims available. And I'm pretty sure, that rims that support that triplet lacing are rare.

Swannie

by Swannie

mattr wrote:
Multebear wrote:I'm always training with the same guys. And if I put on some heavier wheels, I need to push more, to stay on the wheel, which will be better training. But when I'm on the front, I'll probably just go slower.
Very valid point, with heavy wheels you have to work harder just to keep up, i prefer to have options so i use mid weight wheels and just do more work, longer pulls on the front, don't draft so religiously and so on..

BS.
I'm also always training with the same group.
I have got 3 wheelsets:
Fulcrum racing Quattro Lg +- 1800 grams / Ksyrium Elite +- 1500 grams / Carbon chinese with Powerway hubs 38 mm high +- 1400 grams.
My best / fastest wheelset is by far my heaviest Fulcrum set, even when riding mountains.
They hold beter on when at speed, with the carbon set i have the feeling i have to keep pushing, while when the Fulrcums are at speed, they keep that speed very easy, even uphill. Only quick acceleration after cornering is better on the lightest set.

Multebear

by Multebear

Swannie, if your chinese carbon wheels are U shaped (and no more than 24h/20h laced), they will be the fastest of the three you mention both uphill and on the flats, regardless of what you "feel". The Ksyriums are box shaped, and the pictures I could find of the Fulcrums (couldn't find a rim profile), suggest that they are closer to box section than U shaped. So unless you're "feelings" deceive you, you'd have done groundbraking new descoveries on aero knowledge if the Fulcrums as you mention are the fastest.

Swannie

by Swannie

My carbon are u shaped 20/24.
Maybe i Always have good days when on the Fulcrums, bad days when i am on the carbons? :noidea:
shame, cuz the carbon wheels make my bike look way better!

zalle

by zalle

I got an amazing deal on a pair of Mavics Ksirium SL, 150€ including a new michelin pro race 3 (216grams). Problem solved.