Light alloy tubular rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

userfriendly

by userfriendly

racingcondor wrote:Superstar do well priced kit but I'm pretty sure that they're Kinlin rims. Their tub rims look an awful lot like TB-25's (not that that is a bad thing when the wheels are that cheap).

Ah! Yes. You're probably right, that would explain the slight discrepancy between the claimed weight of the wheelset and what it weighed in at on my scales (1,340 and 1,424 grams, respectively). SC state 405g per Elite 25 rim, and Kinlin's TB-25 are claimed as 438g.

Still, the etched logo SC customise the rims with does make them look very pretty. :D

I may get a few rims as spares and/or to build up a set with lighter hubs and spokes later on. Thinking either Tune Mig/Mag or Extralite CyberFront/CyberRear SL, and Sapim Super Spokes or CX Ray.
Cinelli Saetta 6.5kg - nice and dry weather
Reilly T325 7.3kg - nice weather but windy
Spa Audax 9.1kg - all weather steel beauty
Pinnacle Dolomite 7.9kg - flat-pedal chainguard thing
M∆SON Definition 8.5kg - off-road ... thing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Stolichnaya

HED Belgium C2 rim come in 24H and 28H drilling. Lace to light hubs and with CX-rays and you have a sweat light wheelset. The Kinlin TB20 is the other option but the HED's look nicer.

It does not have to be 32H for tubular rims.

boysa

by boysa

I have the Belgium's in 20/24. Do they not make the 20-hole rim anymore?
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

kervelo

by kervelo

For example the wheelbuilder.com lists only 24h, 28h and 32h, but the amazon still seems to have also the 20h.

by 11.4

People keep recommending old 1980s rims like the Mavic 280s and 330s. Honestly, they weren't good rims back then and aren't now. Back then there was a crazy weight focus -- people even drilled out the tire bed of rims and tore off base tapes, but then still had to deal with 28, 32, and 36 spoke wheels.

Today, whether you're light or not, there are a few good alloy rims that are great for training. The HED Belgiums are probably the best, as far as I'm concerned. Pacenti, DT, H+Son and a few others also come to mind but not with quite the same durability and quality. These can be raced quite nicely and lots of people have won on them. If you're training, you can opt for $3000 carbon wheels but if you don't want to go that route, I don't think anyone is making life easier by going to Crono 20s or GEL280s. A railroad crossing or pothole will ding those regardless of your weight. It's a training wheel. If you are actually only riding for enjoyment and not to race, I'd still say that you don't need better than a HED Belgium, or if you do, what you really want is carbon. But remember that deep-section rims only pay aero dividends at high speeds. If you aren't riding 25 mph or faster, those deep carbon rims are just for show. At least buy a Hyperon or something in that vein to get durability in a lower weight, and go with tubular. (Yes, now I went and said it.) You get a durable and light wheel that way and can use a lighter tire with fewer problems to maximize the benefit.

I just hate to see riders on team rides who pulled out the light alloy rims from thirty years ago and are on the side of the road with a cell phone because they ran over a one-inch branch and killed a rim. That's not really what we're about, is it?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Hed dont make the 20h tubular rim available anymore.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Anyone knows what rims are on the Superstar Pave wheelset? These (with Icon hubs) piqued my interest more than the Elite.
Less is more.

addictR1

by addictR1

I have a set of bitex and novatec hubs I salvaged from my previous 2 sets of Farsports. They are both 20/24.

I'm at 153lbs with a weak 194 FTP, but still improving. debating if I should go with kinlin TB20 or TB25? Want something stuff. Thoughts on which rim and which type of spokes to use?