Light alloy tubular rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'm thinking about getting a light tubular wheelset for climbing and training. I searched and I was wondering if there is anything new out there. For a given rim, I'd approciate a spoke count recommendation too. My spoke choice is cx-rays and I'm not too heavy at 130 lbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

I have a set of HED Belgium laced to Alchemy hubs, and I think they came in around mid-1300g for 20/24. Wonderful wheels.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

racingcondor

by racingcondor

At your weight I'd go with 28/28 spokes laced to some Ambrosio Crono F20. They're old school box section rims so aren't exactly aero but they're around 375g each and make for a very comfy ride.

I'm not aware of anything new out there, Alu tub rims are disappearing (Velocity used to produce 2, now both discontinued) so I suspect the problem is that Tubs are a small market and 99% of tubs are deep carbon race wheels so there probably isn't a sustainable market there.

Alternatives I know of are -
Hed Belgium (expensive, not all that light but can do lower spoke counts)
Mavic Open Pro Tubular (i.e. Escape). 400g, high spoke count but wider than the Ambrosio. Personally I don't think they're really what you're looking for.
Kinlin TB25. I believe they're around 435g, V profile and stiff and strong. You could probably build them up 20/24 spokes and make a more aero wheel but I don't know if they meet your light requirement.

My Tub wheels are -
Ambrosio Crono 28/28 to DA hubs (1,380g)
Velocity Escape (now discontinued) 24/28 to Chris King (1,350g)

and I'm building some tougher wheels for winter using Mavic Open Pro CD (tub) 32/32 to Ultegra hubs as an experiment to see if the CD coating lasts. Should be strong and comfy but they're going to be around 1,650g.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

racingcondor wrote:At your weight I'd go with 28/28 spokes laced to some Ambrosio Crono F20. They're old school box section rims so aren't exactly aero but they're around 375g each and make for a very comfy ride.

I'm not aware of anything new out there, Alu tub rims are disappearing (Velocity used to produce 2, now both discontinued) so I suspect the problem is that Tubs are a small market and 99% of tubs are deep carbon race wheels so there probably isn't a sustainable market there.

Alternatives I know of are -
Hed Belgium (expensive, not all that light but can do lower spoke counts)
Mavic Open Pro Tubular (i.e. Escape). 400g, high spoke count but wider than the Ambrosio. Personally I don't think they're really what you're looking for.
Kinlin TB25. I believe they're around 435g, V profile and stiff and strong. You could probably build them up 20/24 spokes and make a more aero wheel but I don't know if they meet your light requirement.

My Tub wheels are -
Ambrosio Crono 28/28 to DA hubs (1,380g)
Velocity Escape (now discontinued) 24/28 to Chris King (1,350g)

and I'm building some tougher wheels for winter using Mavic Open Pro CD (tub) 32/32 to Ultegra hubs as an experiment to see if the CD coating lasts. Should be strong and comfy but they're going to be around 1,650g.

Just what I was looking for! Thank you for the detailed list!

Marin

by Marin

Why would you build 1400g noodly tubs if you could get a stiff 1300g clincher set? Serious question.

F45

by F45

Lots of Velocity Escape rims for sale nos.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Back when I managed a Performance store, our mechanic built himself a set of 28/28 Mavic GEL280 rims laced with DT Revolution 2/1.5/2 spokes and alloy nipples to Dura Ace 9 speed hubs with a total weight around 1250 grams.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Kinlin TB20 can be easily built up in 20H and 24H drilling. Not many places have them though. 435g each and they are 23mm wide and 22mm deep and stiff.

1300g wheelset is very doable with the right hubs and it will perform well.

I have a set of Mavic GEL280 rims (280g each) laced up with 32 sapim race spokes on novatec hubs and these are o.k wheels. They are light but my do you feel the front flex in the bends. I cant say I like riding them quickly. I am 82kg though and these rims are not really meant for me. I would not build them up with revultion spokes though even at the OP's weight spoke failure will be an issue in time.

This is the problem the some of the sugestion above. The Ambrosio F20 is good for a front wheel but hopeless on the back as it just not stiff enough. Of all the box section rims out there the ambrosio nemesis is the best but not light (not heavy either) but the mavic GP4 might be worth a look in a 28F/32R. I have a couple of sets of rims hanging up waiting to become wheelsets one day.

the HED belgium C2 tubular is another good rims. 24H and 28H drilling is what HED sell that if off interest. 435g each and very stiff. I have a 28H pair laced to record hubs with Cx-rays and these are one of my favourite wheelsets.

So track down a pair of Kinlin TB20 pick some light hubs and lace them up with CX-rays and you will have fun.

LouisN

by LouisN

+1 for Kinlin rims.

Either go for TB20 or TB25 depending on the width you prefer.
At 20/24H with CX-Rays, It will build a nice 1300-1380 g wheelset depending on hubs.

Louis :)

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I was recently looking into aluminum tubular wheelsets as well. It is slim pickings, which is sad.

I refurbished an old set of Velomax Orion II tubulars and they are wonderful for this time of year. Put new bearings in and a new cassette body - they're exceptionally light for such an old wheelset at around 1350 grams. They have been beaten on and only trued once in all these years, so darn durable.

Seems like no one is making a proper 'system' aluminum wheelset for tubulars other than the Campy Shamal Ultra in tubular.
Am I wrong with this? If yes, please point me in the right direction (brand / model)

The result is choosing a 32 / 32 spoked wheelset that is custom laced.
(28 / 28 Cronos would work, but as a larger 85+ kg rider, it might not be the most durable solution.)
The KinLin may be the best option at this point to mix and match front versus rear spoke count.

RussellS

by RussellS

I have two Mavic GEL280 rims, 32 holes, that weigh 298 grams each. And one Mavic GL330 rim, 28 hole, that weighs 350 grams. 600 grams for the two GEL rims, 200 grams for the two Extralite hubs, 4 grams per spoke is 250 grams. Total wheel weight of 1050 grams!

Mackers

by Mackers

racingcondor wrote:and I'm building some tougher wheels for winter using Mavic Open Pro CD (tub) 32/32 to Ultegra hubs as an experiment to see if the CD coating lasts. Should be strong and comfy but they're going to be around 1,650g.

No, the CD hard anodizing won't last.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

bm0p700f - I agree that the Crono's are flexy as anything but at 130lbs if anyone can ride them it's the OP. Crono's certainly make for a pretty unusual wheelset (certainly not a strong one) but I love the ride of mine with 23mm Corsa's. I wouldn't race them but for long rides with plenty of climbing they're really nice.

Velocity Escapes will build into a lighter stiffer wheel though and he could easily drop the spoke count. I'm about 150lbs and 24/28 is very stiff.

Stolichnaya - At 85 kilo's I wouldn't go near the Crono's at any spoke count. You'd be fine on Nemesis or Escapes though.

Mackers - Didn't think so but I wanted something stronger than the Crono's but still box section for the ride qualities. It was those or Nemesis and I wanted to try these for future reference (the Nemesis was the sensible choice but who has time for that!).

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Stolichnaya wrote:Seems like no one is making a proper 'system' aluminum wheelset for tubulars other than the Campy Shamal Ultra in tubular.
Am I wrong with this? If yes, please point me in the right direction (brand / model)

Superstar Components. They're UK-based - shipping within Europe shouldn't be too terribly expensive, though.

They do hand-built tubular wheels with their own aluminium rims, Sapim Laser spokes, and Novatec hubs with upgraded bearings. However, they also have a custom wheel configurator if you want different components.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/e ... t-2024.htm

The Elite 25 rims on their own are £40 each, available in 20h and 24h. 19mm wide and 25mm deep.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/e ... ar-rim.htm

Been using their clincher wheels quite a bit (Elite 24, Elite 30, and Pave 28), and was impressed with their stiffness and low weight.

I've received my first set of their tubular wheels this week, got a pair of Veloflex Criterium stretching on them at the moment. Will glue them over the weekend, and then I'll have to wait for the last item for this build to arrive, the frameset.
Cinelli Saetta 6.5kg - nice and dry weather
Reilly T325 7.3kg - nice weather but windy
Spa Audax 9.1kg - all weather steel beauty
Pinnacle Dolomite 7.9kg - flat-pedal chainguard thing
M∆SON Definition 8.5kg - off-road ... thing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Superstar do well priced kit but I'm pretty sure that they're Kinlin rims. Their tub rims look an awful lot like TB-25's (not that that is a bad thing when the wheels are that cheap).