Back to 23mm

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

Calnago wrote:Agree completely. In my case, while I'd do believe the narrower tire and the old Boras are in fact the "faster" wheel in an all out drag race, my weight and size tends to look for a little more stability than the narrow setup provides. Thus the new Boras and a 24-25mm tire seem ideal, for me.

I agree with this yes. And also own older 50mm Boras and the newer Boras (in 35 and 50mm). Totally unscientific but to my mind the older Boras with a 21mm front tub is the fastest set up when you're really hammering, but appreciate there will be very little in it.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alumen

by Alumen

So I bought a 23mm tyre to test it on my front wheel. Remember, I used to have 15C wide rims.

The rear wheel set up is more static anyway, where tyres only are providing suspension, breaking and power transmission.

My experience in short, in terms of suspension I hardly didn't find any differences compared with 25mm. The handling was way more agile and stable in the corners, like expected and like wanted ! I didn't noticed any difference in rolling resistance, albeit it is the front wheel.

But..., the overall riding experience of my bike became way more nervous. Even without stiring and with strong side winds my bike felt less stable, in fact it was ! Also with grabbing my drinking bottle from the cage I noticed a way more nervous overall behaviour of the bike.

And the end result is..., I bought wheels with 17C wide rims for and with new 25mm tyres and will never look back again :mrgreen:

To me 25mm is not a hype anymore, but just a new proven standard and best to be used on 17C wide rims and up !
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

Marin

by Marin

I love Veloflex 23s on 18c/25mm rims - come out to 24mm, aero, fast and still feels like a road bike.

And - 195g per tire!

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Lieblingsleguan wrote:Also, the new Vittoria tires are extremely wide. I ride the Corsa G+ 23mm on 15C rims and they come out exactly 25mm wide which is as much as my SuperSix frame can clear.

i think i've seen some magic going on these new Vittoria (Corsa G+).
my 25c is only 1mm wider than 23c on identical rim (just rear vs front of Chinese open mold).
And 28c of my friend is only a tiny bit wider than 25c too.

The difference, however is in the height. 25c is noticably taller than 23c and 28c is once again taller than 25c.

I believe the two layer construction which it transit sharply between thread and cotton sidewall has something to do with this.
Maybe black thread part dictate the width, it make 23c run wider than usual but then it's not very tall.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

You guys are doing it wrong. I put 37mm Vittoria Voyager Hypers on my daily bike. Not sure how aero they are ;) , but they certainly are comfy, and they corner on rails!

25mm Paves on my race bike feel like those old solid rubber tyres now. :shock:

According to bicyclerollingresitance.com I'm probably losing a couple of Watts on the daily driver. I can live with that.
Last edited by MattSoutherden on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

dastott

by dastott

Another vote for 23 f and 25 r. Feels faster than 25 f to me.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

dastott wrote:Another vote for 23 f and 25 r. Feels faster than 25 f to me.

+1. I also run the same pressure (90psi) on both and they feel great.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

pdlpsher1 wrote:
dastott wrote:Another vote for 23 f and 25 r. Feels faster than 25 f to me.

+1. I also run the same pressure (90psi) on both and they feel great.

had an accident due to bad road, was running 23 front 25 rear.
I liked it so much on okay to good road but my local road is just not in a good shape.
I'll be in 25c front 28c rear camp soon.

Marin

by Marin

2mm tire difference won't help against accidents though

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Marin wrote:2mm tire difference won't help against accidents though

2mm is a lot! I know as I have a 23mm front and a 25mm rear. The diff is day and night. I'm talking about the Conti 4000S II on Campy Bora wheels- 24mm external and 17mm internal width. I also have Conti 4000S II 28mm on a Hed Belgium Plus with 21mm internal width. That tire has huge internal volume. I had to use 100g thick tube on that tire/rim combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Conti 28s are 31mm, 25s are 28mm. The ride is terrible though compared to high-TPI tires.