Back to 23mm

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

saab2000

by saab2000

Alumen wrote:At least I've found some "rocket science" that proves my thoughts...

"The problem comes when riders, having read about all the benefits of wider tires, mount a pair of them on the 15C wide alloy stock wheels that came with most of our new bikes or the upgrade alloy wheels sold by most of the leading wheel makers for the last 3-5 years. A 25C tire on a 15C wheel can feel squishy, even more so if you’ve reduced the air pressure to get more comfort. This squishy feel is a symptom of the tire losing its shape and its tendency to fold back on itself. This is the opposite of the improved handling you are looking for by going to a wider tire."

Source: https://intheknowcycling.com/2016/04/03 ... eel-sizes/

So the answer to my question is, on my 15C Campy rims, I simply need to go back to 23mm indeed.

This was my experience as well with the narrower rims. Wider rims with 25s are OK, but I still am enjoying my 23s a bit more. No folding or squish here.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I ride older rims and don't get the squishy feel...just a matter of getting type pressure right...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

For narrow rims 23mm tyres do make some sense. However it is 15mm internal width rim or narrower that make no sense. Why are people still buying these things. Tradition i suppose but tradition is uncomfortable and slower.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

My "traditional" rims feel fine, work fine and don't slow me down so I continue with tradition... :)

MikeD

by MikeD

I like 25s. They ride smoother, handle bad pavement better, and corner more securely (at least it feels that way to me). I put 23s on after I wore out my 25s, and am now back on 25s. These are Continental 4000S tires.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Wingnut maybe you have not a tried a good wider rim with a 25mm tyre on it then. If you have you will know you are quicker throught the bends. I dont consider my self a talented rider but I seem quicker through bends in races. One of the reason i think (but not the only one) is the wider rims I ride on. When I did a capable bike with narrow rims (I still have a couple of sets) they are simply slower in the corners and over rougher roads of which there are plenty about here.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

bm0p700f wrote:For narrow rims 23mm tyres do make some sense. However it is 15mm internal width rim or narrower that make no sense. Why are people still buying these things. Tradition i suppose but tradition is uncomfortable and slower.

i found even worse when replace a tire for my friend.
His wheels (that come with a tiagra level road bike released in 2013) has only 13.6mm internal width. I measure it twice and shake my head before putting 25c tires on as requested...

alistaird

by alistaird

I guess I'm bucking the trend here - will be using 19mm clinchers on my Colnago E1 build....

I'm looking forward to seeing how these feel on the road :twisted:

A

Multebear

by Multebear

bm0p700f wrote:For narrow rims 23mm tyres do make some sense. However it is 15mm internal width rim or narrower that make no sense. Why are people still buying these things. Tradition i suppose but tradition is uncomfortable and slower.

I don't think people buy them anymore. But when you buy new bikes, at least the inexpensive ones, they always come with some cheap shit like RS11 or Aksiums or similar narrow wheels.

That said, people still gladly buy C24's, which have 15 mm inner width.

Marin

by Marin

Guys, a few years back we rode 55mm tires on 19c rims on our MTBs, and then 25c started to be considered wide - with up to 60mm tires.

So a 13c with a 25mm tire is just fine if you don't run your pressures too low. A wider rim will be better, but it's not like a narrow rim with a still-narrow tire (25 is hardly a balloon!) will suddenly aspode :D

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I don't doubt wider rims are most likely better but until I wear my current rims out I don't really see a justification in updating...I ride 25's in both tubular and clincher and they feel fine to me...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I know I was one of those people back in the day riding 2.1" tyre on 17mm internal width rims. I went to Mavic 721's in 2003 but back then that was considered a down hill rim. I wanted them as I needed something that would not go egg shaped. Those wheels are on a mates bike now 13 years later.

greenedgefan

by greenedgefan

sugarkane wrote:I prefer 23s on a wide rim.. They run same width as the rim, still have more air under em so you can run lower pressures and have a way better profile that lets you lean the bike over more

So do I, and I'm just shy of 90kg.

Tomdaws

by Tomdaws

For a couple of years now I've run a 23/25 combination on my deeper wheels - 303s & Reynolds Strikes. A few weeks back I finally got around to replacing the 23 up front with a 25.

I've not noticed any increase in speed, or at least I can't quantify it?, but its definitely added a little extra cushioning to the ride & I can see how this can certainly reduce fatigue over a longer ride & reduce the RR.

Now, one thing I have noticed is how the 25 has affected the handling. I find it takes more effort to turn in to a corner, the bike feels like it wants to remain upright rather than be banked over ??? It's only noticeable at higher speeds & for most of a ride I don't notice it at all.
The only explanation I can think of is the extra weight of the larger tyre has increased the 'gyroscopic effect' but I can't believe such a small increase in weight can have any effect.
Needless to say I've swapped back to a 23 up front & much prefer things this way.

Can anyone explain what might be going on ? or has anyone had a similar experience ?
For reference I'm 68kg & I'd say I notice this more on the deeper section Reynolds wheels.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Wider tires have a wider but shorter contract patch. Most likely the wider area increases the resistance to tip in that you feel. Its certainly noticeable but the feeling goes away after a few rides and the new feeling becomes "normal", at least for me.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record