Budget Carbon Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which would you choose?

Fulcrum Quattro Carbon
56%
Farsports 38mm Tubeless with DT Swiss 240
44%

Total votes: 18

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Both of these sets can be had for $900 - $1000. From what I've been reading the Chinese clincher quality has improved a lot recently and I've been wanting to try tubeless but that's not a deal breaker either way. Do the DT Swiss hubs make the Farsports wheels a better choice over the Racing 3 level (from what I can tell) hubs on the Fulcrums? I'm currently running Zero Nites but have always wanted to try carbon wheels. Which would you choose and why? If you have another suggestion of a wider carbon clincher in this price range I'd love to hear it.

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-us/fulcr ... 6-EV252554

https://www.wheelsfar.com/road-wheels/c ... elset.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

At those prices I'd definitely go with the Fulcrums.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Ltoddokc wrote:From what I've been reading the Chinese clincher quality has improved a lot recently...

That's a lie! It's getting worse due to competitive positioning. "Made in China" is like flipping a coin based on who is monitoring production line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

F45

by F45

At any rate, the Venn rims from Taiwan are only a little more than Chinese. I'd consider them.

Multebear

by Multebear

mpulsiv wrote:
Ltoddokc wrote:From what I've been reading the Chinese clincher quality has improved a lot recently...

That's a lie! It's getting worse due to competitive positioning. "Made in China" is like flipping a coin based on who is monitoring production line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting worse or getting better. How would one know for sure? You would have to do extensive research. I for one have 3 sets of Farstports carbon rims. I've done more than 12.000 km on the two of them combined with absolutely no issues. The third set has only a few hundred km's on them. The same goes for several friends and teammates. I can't agree to bad quality on at least Farstports rims.