KSYRIUM PRO CARBON SL C vs Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon HG

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

H2o

by H2o

Hi everyone, my first post, but i have been reading and watching this forum for a couple off years... today i registered because i need some help.

Hoping for some :P

After yesterdays crash, against a car, who did not stop on a stop sign :x my front wheel went to garbage.

So im looking for a new set off wheels, and im very dumb, i read about them on google, they have the new standard 17C, and are very light.

KSYRIUM PRO CARBON SL C 1390g vs Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon HG 1358g

Anyone has one off them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimW

by TimW

Yes. I have Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbons on my C59. Love them. Weight above is bang on. Reason I got them is that the Shamal was my favourite wheel and these are very similar only lighter and wider. Maybe a little more aero as the rim is blunt, but the spokes are wide. The spokes are alloy so they are stiff but you can compensate with 25mm tyres which fit beautifully as they are designed for these. As you would expect they spin up quickly and the top quality hubs spin forever. Braking is fine in dry with red pads but still a bit scary/crap in wet...like all carbon rims.

Can't comment on Mavic as only used the older narrower rims (Carbone 40C). Mavic bearings are good but not quite as good as Campagnolo/Fulcrum.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

In the Everything Wheels thread I have commented on the Mavic Pro Carbon SL C.

They are very good in all respects. Very smooth, quiet, comfortable ride. I looked at the Fulcrum but could not get over the aluminum spokes. Mavic just use Sapim CX Ray which is nice if you have to fix anything.

I am at the big/powerful end of the cyclist scale and the wheels feel adequately rigid even when I stomp on the pedals up a steep grade. Impressive given the 24 spoke count.

The hubs seem top quality. The new ratchet system is excellent. The front is super free spinning, the rear has somewhat tighter weather seals, so not as free spinning as the front.

Braking is as good as you can get with carbon rims. Some have claimed as good as alloy. That's just BS - very good indeed, but not alloy good. What is also claimed that I am more inclined to accept is that the braking performance in the wet is good due to the surface treatment of these rims. I haven't tried them in the wet so no first hand report - sorry.

Keep in mind that if you want to take advantage of their low weight you will need to switch out the very heavy rim tape to something lighter. And don't even think about using the tubes they supply - they are about as thick as an elephant's trunk and just as heavy. The do come with tires which are decent however.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.