the ultimate wheelset for daily riding

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

tymon_tm wrote:custom vs. factory is an ongoing battle with many hard evidence backing each side's arguments.

I don't see it as a battle. There is a market for both, as there should be. The one does not exclude the other. It just widens the possibilities.

Looks like you're pretty zoomed in on factory wheels. As mentioned by others Boras are very highly praised, and a very fine choice.
Last edited by Multebear on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

@Tymon ... if you really want to get the top dog then get the Ultras. They have exclusivity. Ones are now pretty popular with the clincher version out. I don't think I've yet seen a single pair of 2015> Ultras in the wild (other than at shows/stores) however
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Wormiez

by Wormiez

Where is the best place to purchase a set of Bora Ultra's? ProBikeKit?

vlastrada

by vlastrada

price-wise i think so...

Asteroid

by Asteroid

I guess you ride Campy's gruppo? Because otherwise you could buy two sets of Dura Ace 9000 C35's for the same price as the Bora Ultras. Use one set for harsh weather with tires to suit, while outfitting the other set with lighter tires.
Oldbie

sawyer

by sawyer

Asteroid wrote:I guess you ride Campy's gruppo? Because otherwise you could buy two sets of Dura Ace 9000 C35's for the same price as the Bora Ultras. Use one set for harsh weather with tires to suit, while outfitting the other set with lighter tires.

Hi - we need to compare like with like right?

DA 35 tubulars lowest street price I can see from a quick search here in the UK is £1300.

Bora One 35 tubulars ... £1040

So you could buy the Boras and then 5 or 6 high end tubular tyres also for the same money

This does vary by market, so it may be different where you are.

There is a bit of difference in spec too, the main points being that the Boras are 150g ish lighter and have a 24.1mm wide rim versus a 20.8mm rim for the C35s. Shimanos, have 16F spokes vs 18 for the Boras FWIW

I don't think you can reasonably compare the clinchers in the way you have ... carbon clinchers are always much more expensive than alloy rimmed clinchers. Still, lots of folk seem to think it's worth it ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

C35 are too shallow for my taste. and if I wanted clinchers, I'd get Ksyriums... which I did - mostly for bad weather /winter riding. plus they were cheaper than shimanos, came with tires (that are supposed to be a lot better than the first mavic tires which were truly awful) and probably are like a 100g lighter too. (although I didn't weight my set, they still sit in a box)
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

gravity

by gravity

What does daily riding entails? If one rides at least 1 hour every weekday under good weather but bike is stored inside a house, is that what you mean? Or do you mean daily commuting from house to workplace under variable weather and bike is kept outside? If the former, anything nice u can afford; if the latter, bombproof wheels where it's not so heavy on the wallet - like zonda.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

He is looking for deeper and also more "exciting" wheels which look the part and are also very reliable for daily use (at least that's how I understood it).
Having used various versions of bora, zipp, mavic, LW, I would pick boras any time. They tick all the boxes in my opinion. LWs are cool wheels, but I would not consider them every day kinda wheels. Pick bora one or ultra depending how much cash you are willing to spend I guess.