the ultimate wheelset for daily riding

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

short question: which of the top wheelsets would you recommend for everyday riding for a die hard Cosmic Carbone fan?

I live in two places and so far I've been taking my 'daily' bike with me all the time (only keep winter/rain bikes in both locations), which it sort of a PITA. it appears some extra bonus is coming my way so I decided to get a new bike but can't really decide on the wheels...

I need a light, but really stiff and sturdy wheelset. who doesn't right? and yes I wan't to spoil myself. I don't race (well, just a tiny bit), I'm light, and don't flat - like ever. we're talking about riding in a hilly terrain, climbs are not that long (1-4 km max) but very steep at moments, roads are really fine, although there are segments of poor tarmac but nothing dramatic. as I said I'm a Cosmics guy, but I also had Boras for few months and really gotten to like the idea of a bit lighter wheels. I really want them to be as deep as possible (not that windy in here plus I dig deep wheels). I use clinchers, but the transition to tubes I believe is unevitable if I wan't those wheels to shine ... or isn't it? I ride on size 23 tires, might transition to 25 but that's not a must - I'm perfectly happy with the size 8)

so if money and accessibility were no object, which would you get. Mavics? Boras? LWs? I'm also friends with Reynolds dealer, maybe something here..?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

RZR46 with some FMB for something not so common? What bike are they going on?
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

fernweg or bora ultra 80 with 23 mm tyres since neither is wide. failing that old bora ultra 50 as again not wide and hence 23 mm is good. here we see bora ultra 50 second hand half price of new but great prices on starbike too.

my absolutely druther right now would be the fernwegs. look great. maybe problem is spending that money when they aren't that light.

on other hand i picked up some second hand lightweight stds and they are very nice. stiff and very light.

in my opinion it is the deep wheels (80 etc) that really look the part. can't think of a bike they don't look good on especially if dark/unlabelled.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Multebear

by Multebear

There's a wheel section sub forum for questions like these.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I want to go with some Colnago (I'm talking with several stores about what's availible), can't decide whether I'll try Campa or stick to DA, either way it's gonna be mechanical.

80mm is too deep for me, 40-60mm is what I'm after. Fernwegs are too heavy, might as well stick with Carbones. I was thinking about Meilensteins, with some bling bling spoke colour :oops:

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Multebear wrote:There's a wheel section sub forum for questions like these.

sorry, my bad. can mods move it there please? :oops:

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I just got some Cero AR22's and I've gone tubeless.
1440g with a novatech type hub. Super fast, comfy. A good price £350.
Love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

Nefarious86 wrote:RZR46 with some FMB for something not so common? What bike are they going on?

This, which I happen to have a pair for sale BTW. 968g and aero, what more can you ask for?

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Really happy with my Ksyrium SLRs (this year renamed to Exalith Pro SL). If you're not set on 'aero' wheels these tick all the right boxes for you.

Decently priced (purchased from Starbike), great braking with the Exalith surface, snappy rear wheel when climbing, all around comfortable and great wheelset.

wingguy

by wingguy

tymon_tm wrote:I need a light, but really stiff and sturdy wheelset. who doesn't right? and yes I wan't to spoil myself. I don't race (well, just a tiny bit), I'm light, and don't flat - like ever. we're talking about riding in a hilly terrain, climbs are not that long (1-4 km max) but very steep at moments, roads are really fine, although there are segments of poor tarmac but nothing dramatic. as I said I'm a Cosmics guy, but I also had Boras for few months and really gotten to like the idea of a bit lighter wheels. I really want them to be as deep as possible (not that windy in here plus I dig deep wheels). I use clinchers, but the transition to tubes I believe is unevitable if I wan't those wheels to shine ... or isn't it?

Bora 50s sound pretty damn good. Deep enough to be aero but light enough to be mega climby in the tub version, wide but not so wide that 23s don't work, and fantastic hub/freehub/wheelsystem stiffness!

sawyer

by sawyer

Agree 100% with wingguy ... if cash is no object get the Ultras, but it's hard to think there aren't better uses for the premium over Ones for everyone!

I have 50s 35s and old narrower 50s ... not much to chose between them all tbh
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

yeah I'm leaning towards Boras as these are familiar, accessible, look the par and will go just perfectly with an Italian frame. haven't really heard any negative opinions about them too. they seem like a perfect wheel out there.

BUT, since this is going to be the "build of a lifetime" :D kind of thing, I'm tempted with going even more exclusive. LWs and RZRs are pretty damn tempting, lighter and I know *can* be ridden on a daily basis. CCUs - the distant cousins of my beloved Carbones are also nice. the biggest question I guess is - how many. how many kms/miles should I expect them to last? I'm mostly concerned with the braking surface, after all they are going to be used A LOT. the bearings is a factor too, from what I gather Boras are the best in this area, but on the other hand I've the Reynolds service round the corner..

as for Ksyriums, I've already ordered a pair for the wet/winter riding. :thumbup: I always wanted to have Ksyriums,but there was so many negative feedback on WW it felt like getting them would be the dumbest thing in the world. the latest generations though, they seem mighty solid, and lighter too, so the kid in me didn't hesitate a minute.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Having had the RZR (both Std and Team), LW (Std, Fernwegs, Ventoux, Obies), Bora Ultra Two, Hyperon..
I would pick either the LW Std or the Bora Ultras.
My advice is to stay away from the Std RZR, mine was replaced three times due to quality/manufacturing issues.

The new generation Bora is another alternative you should seriously consider.

Cheers

BRM

by BRM

mrgray wrote:
in my opinion it is the deep wheels (80 etc) that really look the part. can't think of a bike they don't look good on especially if dark/unlabelled.

80 mm for daily use . . . . right . . . . good advice, what do you smoke?

:lol:

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

thanks, RZR's quality was discussed here I believe and there were many negative comments. but I wondered if the new version is any better? if there is any new version.. my LBS tells me "saul goodman :lol: go get'em" but I don't want to get into a warranty complaint fest, not with this price tag.

funny no one mentiones ZIPP.. I've spoken with another dude who ships stuff from Canada and claims he can get me a pair at a killer price (omitting customs duties I believe). 202 are not exatly deep, but don't the dimples account for at least like 10-20 mm rim depth? :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com