Powertap GS rear hub and spoke lenghts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kavitator

by kavitator

if tension with inflated tire drops under 40kg on NDS there can be problems with spokes (sound, unscrew nipples)

i built clinchers 1mm offset and with litlle higer tension than recomanded. with J bend spokes tension after several k kilometers of ride drops around 10—15% on DS.

ancker

by ancker

Johnny Rad wrote:

I had my Attack built-up with CX-Ray spokes and will post a weight next week or so when I get it paired to my new Garmin 520 (still enroute). My builder said it went like clockwork. Hopefully, the CX-Rays weigh less and are better than the OEM spokes.

Johnny Rad wrote:
Johnny Rad wrote:
My GS hub came in today and weighs 328g vs the stated weight of 320g.

I just bought a 2014 Attack wheelset and am getting a Powertap GS hub for them. What spoke length did you end up using?

I see the Reynolds website says ERD = 585mm (and add 16mm for internal nipples). Based on that and the Powertap PDF, I need 298mm spokes. But the PDF also says add/subtract for nipple. So if I buy a 14mm nipple, do I need 298 - 14 = 284mm spokes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

No, definitely not. Usually no adjustment is needed, sometimes just a minor adjustment.

The spoke length with different nipples is discussed in the Roger Musson's book, if I am correct. You can also find several discussions from various forums with Google.