New Vittoria Mastik Pro glue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Wanted to get some magic mastik to try out of curiosity but none of the local shops have it. When I went to Vittoria's website, I didn't find it there as well. I did find this new Mastik Pro glue that seems like a hybrid product of the magic mastik and mastik one; read this -

"Mastik Pro Mastik Pro is the latest and best development in tubular glue to date. It addresses all known challenges for gluing your tubulars. With its quick and easy application, it is possible to glue two tires in under an hour. Mastik Pro cleans easily with water, making mess on your hands and equipment a challenge of the past. It also has a much increased resistance to high temperatures, contributing strongly to much higher safety especially for long descents. The new Mastik Pro is non-flammable, so it can be carried everywhere regardless of the mode of transport. Glued tubulars are rideable in 24 hours and the packaging is especially designed to use two satchels per wheel.

I can find no other information on the net regarding this product though, not even an online retailer that stocks it. Anyone heard anything about it before?

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I see what you mean. It would appear that they may have discontinued Magic Mastik and replaced it with this new product. I have one packet of the MM that am planning to try on my next glue job. Have plenty of M1 just in case it doesn't work :wink:
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Their website https://www.vittoria.com/accessories/road-accessory/

Water soluble, but now needs 24 hours curing time, hence a hybrid of the 2 [emoji1]

sungod

by sungod

tbh the only apparent difference between magic and pro seems to be the packaging (slight size increase from 12ml to 17ml) and increase to 24 hrs

aside from that, they seem to be the same - water soluble, higher temperature (see https://www.vittoria.com/accessories/ro ... ic-mastik/ )

i think magic was applied to rim only, i've not seen instructions for the pro but my guess would be they now say to apply to both rim and basetape, which would explain the increased amount per wheel and the longer drying time

Oberon

by Oberon

After gluing a set of Conti tyres approximately two months ago using Magic Mastik, I have discovered both tyres have large areas where the the tyre and rim are no longer bonded together and the areas that are still bonded can be easily separated. The glue is supposed to be water resistant after curing, but it looks as if it has dissolved (some wet weather riding). Has anybody else experienced this problem?

sungod

by sungod

i've read comments that people think water has affected the bond, also about it peeling off easily

for instance http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f4 ... 40786.html

there's a thread on ww too

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Kayrehn wrote:Wanted to get some magic mastik to try out of curiosity but none of the local shops have it. When I went to Vittoria's website, I didn't find it there as well. I did find this new Mastik Pro glue that seems like a hybrid product of the magic mastik and mastik one; read this -

"Mastik Pro Mastik Pro is the latest and best development in tubular glue to date. It addresses all known challenges for gluing your tubulars. With its quick and easy application, it is possible to glue two tires in under an hour. Mastik Pro cleans easily with water, making mess on your hands and equipment a challenge of the past. It also has a much increased resistance to high temperatures, contributing strongly to much higher safety especially for long descents. The new Mastik Pro is non-flammable, so it can be carried everywhere regardless of the mode of transport. Glued tubulars are rideable in 24 hours and the packaging is especially designed to use two satchels per wheel.

I can find no other information on the net regarding this product though, not even an online retailer that stocks it. Anyone heard anything about it before?

It seems that vittoria re-named the magic mastik to mastik pro, so you can search and buy under that name online. Although I did find mastik one on their website and I would recommend that instead. It's known that mastik one provides a great bond that provides good Crr (al morrison crr data). I would not use anything else until I see some Crr test on other glues. Of course you might value easy installation and cleanup to be more important than Crr.

bigguy

by bigguy

New here. I was looking for some experiences with the Magic Mastik/Mastik Pro (exactly the same product just different packaging).

What i have found so far over the last 15 months of using the product:

- it works absolutely great. Much easier to use than Conti glue with 3 different layers applied over a few days. I i have mounted 6 tires on my wheelset since i started using it. Really quick to mount and it's dry within 12 hours, but better to use it only after 24 hours, better safe than sorry!
- I used steel wool to remove the old glue, doesn't take much pressure and it comes of quick and easy.
- the glue doesn't work with Conti Tubulars! Conti Tubulars use a cotton bottom layer that's designed to soak up a layer of glue and then bonds with the layer on the rim. It only works with Vittoria and Bontrager Tubulars (made at Vittoria). Vittoria Tubulars have a rubber/plasic base at the bottom which bonds well with the rim via the Magic Mastic glue. I have made the mistake of glueing a Conti tire with MM and was really really pissed off to find the tires coming off with one hand from my rim when testing them for even bonding.

Apart from that, the glue holds really well, no difference to Conti glue with Conti tires on carbon rims. I put 7000km on my bike and didn't have a single failure. Rain rides, endless downhills, no issues at all. I have to admit that i destroyed a bunch of tires as the roads here are quite dirty. So, the maximum i put on a single tire was around 3000km.

Hope this helps!

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I see that the Mastik Pro seems to be available from some sites. I've used the Magic Mastik with success so I've placed an order for 6 packs and will report back once I tried it.

STeve
BB

Coffee & carbon

aspms

by aspms

About to try this Mastik Pro. Is it ok to use it, leaving old glue layers of Mastik One on the rim or should I clean it off completely?
quality carbon repairs and paintjobs @bikebay.lv
https://www.instagram.com/bikebay.lv/

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I myself will be starting with new tires and a cleaned rim when I do try my MP out. I have used the earlier MM and it worked very well. That was with a Vittoria tubular. I'm keen to try the MP with a Conti as a trial also.

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon

mr4fox

by mr4fox

wow! how did any of you get the Magic Mastik to work?
I had to replace a rear rim jsut before a trip to Mallorca a couple years ago and had a brand new Corsa G+ tubular ready to. i followed the instructions to the letter i even let it dry for 20hours before testing the bond. and i cleaned the sh!t out of the rim with acetone (even thought new) as stated in the instrucitons so there was no black left on the clean rag. i cleaned it 10 times!! There was basically zero adhesion strength. i easliy rolled the tyre off with my hands. and as soon as the first section slid off the whole thing almost fell off. I videoed to and emailed to to Vittorai but never received a reply. id read several similar cases in forums online.

Now i see the have a Pro version. but if its the same stuff jsut different packaging then i think ill stay clear.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

mr4fox wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 6:43 pm
wow! how did any of you get the Magic Mastik to work?
I had to replace a rear rim jsut before a trip to Mallorca a couple years ago and had a brand new Corsa G+ tubular ready to. i followed the instructions to the letter i even let it dry for 20hours before testing the bond. and i cleaned the sh!t out of the rim with acetone (even thought new) as stated in the instrucitons so there was no black left on the clean rag. i cleaned it 10 times!! There was basically zero adhesion strength. i easliy rolled the tyre off with my hands. and as soon as the first section slid off the whole thing almost fell off. I videoed to and emailed to to Vittorai but never received a reply. id read several similar cases in forums online.

Now i see the have a Pro version. but if its the same stuff jsut different packaging then i think ill stay clear.
Been using the pro version for months now, on 2 pair of wheels, they worked great - (Mavic ultimate + Vittoria 25 and Lightweight Meilenstein + Vittoria control 25)

Note: The package as 4 tubes, in the configuration of Lightweight wheels + Vittoria G control 25, i only use 2 and 1/2 tubes, no more was needed. once dryed the adhesion strength is very high.
i removed all the glue from the wheels, before using this glue.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Are people still having success with this?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:27 pm
Are people still having success with this?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I glued on a tyre with it last week, unfortunately had a blow out, so had to remove the tyre on the side of the road. It was stuck on well, but as stated you really don't need as much glue as they recommend. One sachet for the rim and tyre is enough.