Pocket-sized spare tubular?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

So, for Bora 24.2 wheels, which Tufo to go as spare?

Tufo Elite <135 which is 22mm and better suited for the width of Bora wheelset, but no puncture protection

or

Tufo Elite Jet <160 which 20mm and to me look very narrow for Bora's (i dont want to ruin the wheelset because of narrow tires), but have Puncture protection.

The roads here, are not so good and not so smooth. With Clinchers i was riding until now (Continental Attack/Force), i had like 1 puncture per 2000 km in average.

In last 1000 km im riding Vittorica Corsa G+ (500 km, no punctures), and Continental GP 4 Season (500 km, no punctures).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kumppa

by Kumppa

For long rides I am using Castelli Undersaddle XL. Pic from google:

Last summer I was carrying 22mm used Continental Competiton tubular in there and it was taking whole bag. Couldnt get even multitool/co2 inside. Looks like Continental tubs are like the worst spare tubs even with 22mm width with sticky rubber.

Bought new wheels and got couple used 22mm Tufo Elite pulse triathlon tires which are like 230g each. With these I can get co2 inside and maybe even multitool. And alot easier to roll up for small space.

For Enve 6.7 with 26mm width front, 22mm Tufo is perfect spare tub. Actually I used these tires for training before went for 25mm tubular. I would not get narrower.
Tested how 22mm Competiton would work and it didnt settle so well on the rim than Tufo.

ThomasGerlachProTri

by ThomasGerlachProTri

I assume you are riding the tubes for racing. If so I wouldn't really go nuts on puncture protection. I ride supersonics for all my races and in training in Tucson with thorns everywhere and they have proven to be quite resilient to punctures regardless of the lack of puncture strip.

As for spare tubulars. This is what I always used. Super small, lightweight and rolls up tightly.

http://www.thomasgerlach.com/2011/10/gold-standard-gear-best-tubular-spare.html