Hunt carbon rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kwaz

by kwaz

Does anyone know who manufactures the new wide Hunt carbon rims? Specifically the hookless disc specific. They look like the same model as the ones from light bike, but the hookless models there don't seem to be rated for a road level (100+) psi. Any thoughts?

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

when you see 50 and 38mm rims, you can bet they are rebranded cheap chinese rims. Their hub looks to be rebranded powerway, works well but they are like $50 per set

"How do your hubs compare to other leading brands?

Our hubs are produced by some of the world's leading high end hub manufacturers. They are based in Taiwan and produce for many of the cycling industry's most respected wheel and hub brands. High end hubs and rims for most brands are produced Taiwan too. We have also had our bearings upgraded in spec to high precision sealed cartridge units by EZO of Japan. The hubs also feature extra external seals so they last extremely well in poor conditions. Our UK winter and rolling cobbled road testing have been extensive and we're very confident they'll give you a great service life. Of course we are always here to support the product and will go above and beyond to make sure our customers are happy with our products."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kwaz

by kwaz

Yeah, I assumed they were re-branded Chinese, which is fine. I'm just trying to track down the specific manufacturer. There are very few hookless, high psi capable rims out there, and that's just what I'm looking for to handbuild myself with some DT350 or similar. Anyone know where I can find other rims by themselves that meet that description: 30-50 deep, disc specific, hookless, and road psi capable?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

kwaz, my setup pretty much checks all the boxes from your question:
- LB 35mm U hookless rims
- Novatec 711/712 disc hubs
- Schwalbe One Tubeless front at 80 psi
- Schwalbe Pro One rear at 90 psi
I didn't experience any hookless related issues in 3000km, the bead sits tight and is a blast to seal with a regular track pump.

kwaz

by kwaz

Ah! That's great news. Even though you haven't had any issues, are they rims rated for that high pressure? I'm a chunknasty 100 kilos on a good day, but like riding my challenge strade bianche 30 tires at 75-80. Any reason I should worry?

Edit: In my head had merged the specs of 35U-shaped and the 25mm xc rims (which have a 40 psi Max listed). I presume your rims are the 35 road specific. They have a 17.9mm internal, but I was looking for a 21mm-ish internal for my challenge 30s on the road and 33-38 for gravel/cross.

F45

by F45

Don't use challenge clinchers on LB carbon rims. They will blow off.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Haha, this is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about in the Fake Bike Companies video rant I made.

The copywrite on that site is hilariously convoluted and over detailed, which is standard for 'companies' like this who are reselling Xiamen region rims and cheap Chinese hubs with their logo printed on it.

ChiZ01 is spot on about the rim depth too. Haha.

gazzaputt

by gazzaputt

ChiZ01 wrote:when you see 50 and 38mm rims, you can bet they are rebranded cheap chinese rims. Their hub looks to be rebranded powerway, works well but they are like $50 per set

"How do your hubs compare to other leading brands?

Our hubs are produced by some of the world's leading high end hub manufacturers. They are based in Taiwan and produce for many of the cycling industry's most respected wheel and hub brands. High end hubs and rims for most brands are produced Taiwan too. We have also had our bearings upgraded in spec to high precision sealed cartridge units by EZO of Japan. The hubs also feature extra external seals so they last extremely well in poor conditions. Our UK winter and rolling cobbled road testing have been extensive and we're very confident they'll give you a great service life. Of course we are always here to support the product and will go above and beyond to make sure our customers are happy with our products."

Assumption without actually seeing the product in the hand? What do you expect hand made rims and hubs in the UK? Get real.

Just bought a set of Hunt Light Aero wheels at £469. Compared to the Zipp 30 Course at £800 they replace I'd they are a steal.

Light. easy tubeless setup and hubs roll very well.

My Zipps 177\77 hubs were excellent and bearings rolled really well. But. Freehub not so good and came apart. Also Zipp claim the 30 course to be tubeless ready. I'd disagree. Nightmare that in the end I abandoned and returned to clinchers.

I'd recommend Hunt's wheelsets to anyone.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

gazzaputt wrote:Assumption without actually seeing the product in the hand? What do you expect hand made rims and hubs in the UK? Get real.

Just bought a set of Hunt Light Aero wheels at £469. Compared to the Zipp 30 Course at £800 they replace I'd they are a steal.

Light. easy tubeless setup and hubs roll very well.

My Zipps 177\77 hubs were excellent and bearings rolled really well. But. Freehub not so good and came apart. Also Zipp claim the 30 course to be tubeless ready. I'd disagree. Nightmare that in the end I abandoned and returned to clinchers.

I'd recommend Hunt's wheelsets to anyone.

LOL.

slashdotdash

by slashdotdash

Anyone know of a carbon rim supplier who offers a rim similar to Hunt's new 30 Carbon Aero Disc? It's a 30mm deep, 26.6mm/21.3mm external/internal width tubeless-ready carbon rim.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

I never said they are bad, it's just I would rather pay $400 vs $1000 for the same thing, heck I can even spend extra $40 for some custom stickers

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

ChiZ01 wrote:I never said they are bad, it's just I would rather pay $400 vs $1000 for the same thing, heck I can even spend extra $40 for some custom stickers

Don't worry mate, you are bang on with your analysis. People just project their buyers remorse onto others with this kind of thing. :)

emotive

by emotive

slashdotdash wrote:Anyone know of a carbon rim supplier who offers a rim similar to Hunt's new 30 Carbon Aero Disc? It's a 30mm deep, 26.6mm/21.3mm external/internal width tubeless-ready carbon rim.

Light Bicycle have released a new rim, RR36C02. 80psi maximum. 36mm deep, 28mm outer, 21C inner, or 22.5C hookless inner. 440g. I've put 800km on mine, going great.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bicyc ... lable.html

I've pumped them up to 80psi once, but i'm running 28C tyres at 50-60psi (80kg rider) and that's plenty. Have tried down to 40psi without issue, so if you can fit a wide tyre, 80psi on 25C tyres should be enough, if you have room for 28C, 70psi will be enough.

kavitator

by kavitator

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... 26wide-899

these are Novatec new hubs - low weight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

So I read through this thinking: hurray, I can get those kind of wheels a lot cheaper from China. That way I could consider a climbing set as well as deeper one instead of going for a do-it-all wheelset.
- Tubeless
- Centerlock
- U-shape
- Wide

So far so good, I could take all of this and build a Chinese wheelset
- Light (1436g for 50mm and 1338g for 30mm)

Honestly I assumed these were just rebranded Novatec 772sb-cl hubs, with Pillar 1420 spokes, and generic rims. But for the life of me I can't build up a wheelset with those components to get at that weight. I'd need 400g 50mm tubeless rims, and the weight for these is including rim tape and valves (and the few reviews I've found all have the wheelsets under or close to the claimed weight).

Anyone managed to get those kind of weights building a set themselves? (Obviously for less cash)